Daniel, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  I'm a long time Mac User with over 15 years experience supporting mac users in K-12 education.

My Mac keeps closing down and switching off mid-operation and

My Mac keeps closing down and switching off mid-operation and without warning. There is plenty of battery and I can be using any software.

I am going to try and help you,
What operation is it closing,
are you running solely on battery power, when this happens or with the power cord in as well?
do you have the cd/dvd that came with the computer?
Have you run Disk utillity

James[ Mac-Access]

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is closing any and all operations. I have been on skype, safari, mail, Wordprocessor & spreadsheets etc. I THINK I am only using battery power but there is always plenty of power left when it closes. Last time I had 29% battery left. I recently ran CleanMyMac because I thought it may help. I still have the cd. Not sure how to run Disk utility!
Ok try this
In finder click the GO at the top, then select utilities,
this brings up a list choose "Disk Utilities"
once this opens select your harddrive from the list usually the top one
select the "First Aid" tab to the right then click on the verify Disk bottom right...
wait till the report come up, if there are problems errors we repair disk
the repair Disk can only be done with the cd/dvd,thats why i asked before if you had a cd/dvd.
let me know what happens and we will continue

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have got the report but it says "volume passed verification"
Ok that is good news on that side,
So now repair your disk permissions while you are there,
next close the computer and remove the battery
then run the lap top on the power cord only
open several application and see if it still quits on you,
If not then its your battery thats the problem
they only have a life of 1.5 yrs or so

Let me know how you get on

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK will try that but I wont know if it is/not battery for 24hours because it may only happen once or twice in that whole period. Will I do that operation and then log back in tomorrow to confirm or otherwise if it has been successful?
Yes you can do that
tomorrow if it hasn't quit on you you can accept that my answer was correct or continue your query

I hope that i have been some help to you,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. Will do. Sounds promising. Fingers crossed!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No joy. Was using Mac & requested a print of a Word document when my screen went black and switched off again.
hi andrea

MMM, is the computer still running,after the screen goes off?
listen if the fans are still running.
When was the last time you updated your computer, maybe check if it needs updates or firmware
How hot is the bottom of the computer?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will have to wait to answer yr question (still running) after it does it again but i am almost sure that it switches off completely incl the fan.
Computer is updated regularly automatically but have just done it again (just in case) and there were no updates.
It doesn't seem to be running particularly warm.
What lap top are you using?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
MacBook Pro2,2
Ok Andrea

Sorry some bad news then
i think that your graphics card is faulty, and should of asked you sooner what mac you were on.
read this post

there were a few problems with the graphics card, and it might still be fixed by apple for free not sure though

I hope that this has answered your question,

please post whether i have been helpful or not

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The report says NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor but mine is called ATI Radeon X1600.
Mine seems like more of a power problem?
I was wondering if the PowerSaver was doing something it shouldn't (while I'm operating) and have turned it off.
I have one more confusion, the macbook pro 2.2 GHz came with the NVIDIA card mid/late 2007
the macbook pro with a ATI radeon x1600 was a 2.0 or a 2.16 GHz or earlier 1.86 or 2.0 or 2.16
so not sure of the specs of yours
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for trying.
can you clear that up for me????
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry, went away for a bit. Hope this helps:

Model Identifier:     MacBookPro2,2
Processor Name:     Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed:     2.16 GHz
Number Of Processors:     1
Total Number Of Cores:     2
L2 Cache (per processor):     4 MB
Memory:     1 GB
Bus Speed:     667 MHz
Boot ROM Version:     MBP22.00A5.B07
SMC Version:     1.12f5

Did you happen to recently do an install of Battery Update 1.3?

I believe I've found the solution.

A lot of others have experienced the same problem that you describe. The solution is to contact an Apple Service center and get them to replace your battery.

Check out this forum that talks about this problem. I think the last post on the page was pretty good and references another problem that MacBook Pro batteries were having and how to check it.

If you are not sure if you have the 1.3 Battery Update go to:

Macintosh HD>System>Library>System Configuration>BatteryUpdater.Bundle

Highlight the BatteryUpdater.Bundle and "Get Info" from the File Menu. It will show you the version number there.

I hope this helps you out.

Daniel, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: I'm a long time Mac User with over 15 years experience supporting mac users in K-12 education.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Many thanks for your help. For your info: (after a few highly technical switch off & ons!) He checked that my MacBook Pro had 1.3 battery update & told me it would need a new battery. My Mac is almost 2 years old, so I could fall for this but as you had given me the forum details I know this is an issue with ones that are a lot newer than mine. I mentioned that I had seen forums that said this was an update issue and after a lot of persuasion got myself a new battery free of charge (which will of course be covered by warranty!).

Many thanks.
Hi Andrea,

I am really glad that you didn't have to pay for a new battery,
they are a bit expensive,

I hope that you were happy with the help received on just answer

please click the accept tab if your were

I'm glad we were able to figure this out and gave you enough infomation to help you make your case to Apple. In my experience this past year, there seems to be a lot of trouble with batteries in the MacBook Series line.

Thank you for working with