Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience

I just updated a number of items on my G4 laptop. After restarting,

Customer Question

I just updated a number of items on my G4 laptop. After restarting, the updates began to load. I interrupted the process by closing the lid so that I could move to another location because it was going to take a while. When I reopened the lid, I got nothing but a blue screen, no icons, dock, no hard drive icon. I restarted a number of times, but it stayed the same. What happened? Can I fix it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.
Hello Julie,

Unfortunately shutting down or sleeping in the middle of updating can take the whole system down, as you're seeing. The safest way to get your machine back up and running is to do an ARCHIVE AND INSTALL of the operating system, which will replace the old corrupt operating system with a fresh one while maintaining your files and most of your settings. Apple has some great instructions on how to do this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710

Once you've done that, re-run Software Update and try the updates again, making sure not to interrupt them.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I just recently upgraded to Leopard. Is that the CD that I should use?

Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.
Julie,

Yep, use the Leopard one.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

This looks kind of risky and scary to me....can I mess something up and get into deeper trouble? I'm thinking that I need to go to a professional to take care of this.

Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.
Julie,

As long as you choose ARCHIVE AND INSTALL in step 9 then everything will be fine. Make sure your laptop is plugged in at all times, and don't let it sleep during the install. The instructions look complex, but really they are just trying to be very detailed so that anyone can follow them. It's only a bit more difficult than upgrading to Leopard, so if you did that then you should be fine.

That said - if it makes you feel uncomfortable, then yes, by all means take it to a professional (e.g., the Apple Store) and they should be able to get you up and running. Unfortunately I can't do it for you remotely.

Shawn

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK, I'm going to give it a try....I'm taking the assumption from this answer that all of the programs that were on the computer will still be there and I don't need to re-install all of those as well, yes??

I thank you for your assistance. Don't know if I hit 'accept' if this reply will go through, so I will click on 'reply' first and wait for the next message to do the 'accept'.

If I have more questions while doing this, do I need to start with a new question and fee, or can I still continue from this one?

Thanks again.Laughing

Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.
Hi Julie,

Great! The Archive and Install will try to reinstall the applications and in most cases (probably 90%) they will work without problems, but some non-Apple applications (e.g, Photoshop) may need to be reinstalled. The best way to figure this out is to just try the applications and if they don't work, reinstall them.

If you have more questions feel free to come back to this thread. It'll be easier for you since you've already given details on your problem here.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes. Kind regards,

Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience: 15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much.