Dave Huber
Dave Huber, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Mac user since 1984, Mac Support Specialist since 1999. In charge of over 700 Macs at current job.
15445216

Hello! I am trying to find a hidden file in finder and I cant

Hello! I am trying to find a hidden file in finder and I can't find it anywhere, however a computer program (Anki) I am using can find it fine. I need to be able to find this folder and open it with a different program. I have tried the terminal command (defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE) and while many more files and folders are visible I still can not find it. Here is a screen shot of my predicament. http:[email protected]/3245511813/sizes/o/
Hello! Are you trying to access the file called knowledge.anki-journal?

After you answer that, can you please either tell me the path to this file? This format will be fine:

home/Documents/Assorted Files/File I am looking for

Please include the correct capitilazation, too.

I am online and will be looking for your response.

-Dave
Dave Huber, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Mac user since 1984, Mac Support Specialist since 1999. In charge of over 700 Macs at current job.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dave, I think I just found the solution the folder is in Library->Application Support-> Anki   

Why would Application support not be listed by spotlight?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hey I got it thanks for your time I'm sorry I resolved the question myself.
Well, Spotlight is a great feature, but it is not perfect, and right out of the box there are folders it won't drill down into. You can configure spotlight to suit your needs, or use an alternative. There are lots out there.

Check out this decent article on Spotlight:
http://www.macworld.com/article/60671/2007/10/leopard_spotlight.html

BTW, while not a true alternative to Spotlight, you should check out QuickSilver if you have not already done so. It has enhanced my Mac usage considerably, and I rarely even use spotlight anymore.

Take care,

Dave
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

I see that you having an issue with locating a hidden file despite being able to find it with Anki application you have described.

If I may ask, is your actual intent to be able to locate this file using Finder?

Also,
• Is the name of the folder "knowledge.anki" that you are trying to open ( That is the name I see highlighted in the screenshot in Spotlight).

• If so, what application does this file need to open it, once it is found and is more accessible?

Just making sure I have an idea of what this function this folder/file is to serve on your Mac OS Leopard platform (i.e - for Word, or a file for Apple application like Apple Script,etc)

This will help me to work diligently to resolve this issue for you

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply.