Daniel, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  I'm a long time Mac User with over 15 years experience supporting mac users in K-12 education.
11976084

I recently downloaded a software update, and have had problems

Customer Question

I recently downloaded a software update, and have had problems with Safari ever since. I "reset" Safari, and it helped a little. But Safari still quits in the middle of a session, and says something about the "java applet".
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.

What version of the Macintosh OS X are you running?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am looking, but cannot find what operating system I am using on my small mac laptop, one year old
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
You can locate the information under the Apple Menu. Select About this Mac and then press the More Information button.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Oops. I took you one step too far. The version is directly under the apple logo of the little window that pops up.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hardware Overview:

Model Name:     MacBook
Model Identifier:     MacBook4,1
Processor Name:     Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed:     2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors:     1
Total Number Of Cores:     2
L2 Cache:     3 MB
Memory:     2 GB
Bus Speed:     800 MHz
Boot ROM Version:     MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version:     1.31f0
Serial Number:     W882340L0P1
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State:     Enabled

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Version 10.5.6   !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Do you remember what updates you recently installed?

Were there any Java Updates?

Go back to the Apple Menu and pull down to "Software Update..."

Let me know if anything shows up.

Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I go to "software updates" it just shows me new software updates to install. (quick time, iDVD update)   I don't remember the update I installed that caused the problems, but I am pretty sure it is a java script problem. That is usually what it says when Safari shuts down unexpectedly.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
OK,

I would go ahead and download the Quicktime update also, because it's used quit a bit by both Safari and itunes.

What I would try for the Java problem is to download the two Java updates from Apple and install them Java for OSX 10.5 updates 1 and 2. Even if you currently have them, it may fix a problem that has developed in your currently loaded software.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did all of that, restarted my machine, and went to a website (HGTV.com). It took a long time loading and then quit - the small box said it might be the Flash Player Plug-In
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Good. It sounds like we solved your Java problem. Now to fix this Flash problem, you can go to the Adobe Flash Player website and download the update for the Flash Player. Adobe Flash Player
Daniel, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: I'm a long time Mac User with over 15 years experience supporting mac users in K-12 education.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much, Daniel. I really appreciate your patience with a novice Mac user like myself. I would highly recommend you to anyone needing help with their Mac.

Cheryl
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
It was my pleasure to help. I'm glad we got it going for you.

Thank you