Brandon M.
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
12024030

I am running VmWare Fusion 2.x under my MacBook Pro, OS X Leopard.

I am running VmWare Fusion 2.x under my MacBook Pro, OS X Leopard. I backup up my Mac using Synchronize! Pro about every 15 minutes. On a separate note, my Mac crashed and I ended up having to recover it completely from an external backup (I actually recovered it using MacTuneUp). Now, when I try to run VmWare with the virtual file that has been recovered, I get the error message: "File not found: Vista-000006.vmdk". I have not been able to locate this file (perhaps it's supposed to be internal to the VmWare bundle itself); and for the 3rd time now, it looks like I may have to reinstall Vista and reload everything... a total pain and waste of time. By the way, I also have a current Acronis True Home Backup of my Vista files; however, even with Vista under VmWare working properly, it wouldn't recover, since it tries to start first in DOS mode, and the USB devices aren't visible in Dos mode on my Vista 32 machine. Any suggestions on how I should proceed with the recovery? Thanks!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hello, Peter.

The error message that you stated indicates a missing file (Vista-000006.vmdk). This file is essential to your virtual machine. The vmdk files are hard drive image files. This particular one is the 6th image file (you probably chose to split your hard drive image into 2GB files). Sadly, without this file, you will not be able to run this virtual machine. I would suggest looking through your backups and see if you can locate that file. The file would be in a folder in your home directory called Virtual Machines. If you are able to recover that file, you should be able to run your Vista virtual machine.

Also, you note that you tried to boot with Acronis True Home Backup. DOS is supported under VMWare Fusion but USB is not. The only devices that will work on DOS will be your keyboard, mouse and hard drive images.

Brandon
Brandon M., Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 10+ Years Mac Support as contractor and currently an IT Manager for law firm
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX knew these. Actually the Vista-00006.vmdk file is present; I ended up buying and loading Parallels, and it could see the file when I tried "transporting" converting the VMware file in; it errored out, however, by saying that the source did not have an OS in it; I had already reloaded Vista on my Mac prior to running parallels.
Is there some utility to fix/check the integrity of a VMWare container and the files in it?
In the meanwhile, I am happily running Acronis with Parallels. It's able to mount the last backup files without problem, but it can't recover them because it says that my virtual disk is too small (it's only 32 GB). Do you know whether there is a way to force Parallels to start with a larger virtual disk? Does Parallels expand the disk allocaiton automatically (i.e., grow organically)? Assuming the latter, I'm moving a bunch of junk into the new virtual drive; then I'll delete it and try reloading from Acronis again.
Any further suggestions?
By the way, I'm fairly technical, having been the CIO and CTO of various companies.
Peter

Peter,<br /><br />Glad to hear you happily running on Parallels. As far as I know (I also did some research to back it up), there is no image integrity checker for VMWare. I understand that Parallels does have an Image Tools that allows the checking of it's own files.<br /><br />As for your virtual disk size, I believe when you created the virtual machine, you should have been asked a disk size. It will not grow beyond this set size. To make your image larger, yould will need to run the Parallels Image Tool (in the Parallels folder) and expand the image. Then, in Windows, you will need to go to Computer Management (right-click My Computer and click Manage) and go to Disk Management and resize the hard drive in Windows to use the new space.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br />Brandon