Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I started up from system on DiscWarrior CD. It wouldnt open

Customer Question

I started up from system on DiscWarrior CD. It wouldn't open holding down the C key, so I changed the startup disk. Now I can't change it back. OS 10.3
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

When you restart, turn off the Mac and then turn it on again and have the Option key down until it starts up into the startup manager.

Or, do the same, but keep the left mouse button down until the disk pops out.

Or, hold down the following 4 keys at the same time as soon as you turn it on:
Keep all 4 down until the Mac chimes 3 times. Then release the keys and it should boot into your hard drive.

The only reason this may not work, if the disk will not eject or Startup manager does not run, would be that the internal disk is not valid anymore.

I hope that is not why you were trying to use it in the first place. The disk may not be bootable anymore.

If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It does not not make the three chimes. I can attach a fire lite external drive with a system on it. Will it look for other startup devices if the internal disk is not valid? I don't know why the startup disk would not work. We have had no problem with it. We ran disk warrior just as regular maintenance.

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

What Mac is this? Do you use a Mouse? Trackpad?

Is the Mouse Wireless?

Let me know, not being able to use the key commands is pretty wierd.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK. It's an Intel mini mac with OS10.4. It is a mac keyboard but not a mac mouse. It is not wireless. We have tried two different mice. We also tried holding down "x" key at startup.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
X key does not help.

Try the D key. It should force the Mac to use the internal drive to boot from.

I still do not get that it will not respect your key commands.

Let me know if D works,
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
BTW... Which keyboard is this? An aluminum? Can you get your hands on any other type of USB keyboard? I am finding that Minis have an issue with some and the Aluminum one is especially prone to this.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne is the mini will not initialize them soon enough. Older/non-apple keyboards seem to work though.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry I had to leave last night before I got your answer. We are now trying another keyboard. I thought we had a plain old apple mouse, but I guess we don't. We just have track balls (Logitech). We haven't tried the D key either.

Just tried another old apple keyboard with D, no luck. Now are are trying op com p r with an old non-aluminum Apple keyboard.

SUCCESS. You are a genius. You saved us a trip to Sarasota. I knew there were four keys you held down at once, but couldn't find where I had them written. I never thought of changing keyboards, only the mouse.

We will call Apple today and tell them that their techs were not helpful, but you were.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Great to hear it is working now.

Keep a spare keyboard around just to make sure you have it if you need to do this again.

Come back again if you need anything else or have another Question.