Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Error messages The MobileMe IMAP server mail.mac.com” rejected

Error messages "The MobileMe IMAP server “mail.mac.com” rejected the password XXXXX user “Customer” and I also get an error message "The connection to the server “mail.mac.com” on port 993 timed out." HELP!

If using Apple Mail, can you go to the Preferences and click on Accounts. In here, edit the outgoing servers list and change smtp.mac.com to smtp.me.com.

See if this helps,
_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks Mike - do you know why it all of a sudden did this? I don't remember asking for a MobileMe account??? I don't remember changing preferences or account settings or anything???
Oh, that is odd.

Who is your normal email provider?

BTW... MobileMe is .Mac, they changed the name. There have been some little issues with Mail, I have errors almost every day with my me.com account.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have a Yahoo email account from AT&T (what was SBC). I changed the outgoing server to smtp.me as you suggested.
OK.

That will not work then.

MobileMe/.Mac is a different service and now it has changed for some odd reason.

You need to delete that server. But first, is there another server listed in the preference?

Let me know before you do anything.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have another work account server on this computer.....but just the two accounts (.mac and work account, which is a GoDaddy account).
Ok. Is SBCGlobal is your email provider? or Internet provider?

Do you have a .mac account at all?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
They are my internet provider, not email....I do have a .mac account.
Ok.

Then we keep the me.com setting. Leave it be.

When you send email, you have the option to choose which server to use for sending email.

The email you were trying above, was it a work or .mac email?

If work, then you would need to choose your godaddy outgoing server. If .mac/mobileme, then use the me.com outgoing server.

graphic

Choose the server from the popup shown in the picture above.

Let me know if it works.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just did a test using my work server to send an email from my .mac email to work email and it was successful....but I keep getting the *!#!-ing popup window saying "The MobileMe IMAP server “mail.mac.com” rejected the password XXXXX user “Customer”
message.
I did change the outgoing server to smtp.me.com.
Ok. Let's look at this from aother direction.

What is your .Mac username?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Customer
OK.

Quit Mail and go to your System Preferences and click on MobileMe icon.

Click on the Account tab and then sign out.

Wait about 10 minutes, then sign in again.

If you get any errors about signing in, then wait another 10 minutes and try again.

then try Mail again.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Oddly... tried to log in and I got a msg saying it was "unable to authenticate your account".
OK. A silly question, are you current in your subscription with MobileMe?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I thought I was but evidently I am not. If so, (I ask out loud to nobody in particular)why am I getting messages about the Mobile Me IMAP server????? Ughhh...
Because it is still in your setup in Mail and it is an IMAP server, so it tries to communicate 'real-time' as opposed to on a schedule like a POP mail server would.

So, if you are no longer a .mac/mobileme member, then the you can delete the account from your settings in Mail preferences, making sure to delete the Outgoing server as well, and then you should not get these messages anymore.

Just want to make sure though, you are not a current mobileme member? you did not renew your .Mac anytime in the last year?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No - I did not renew. I will delete it. Thanks for all your help.
Tom
No problem,

Have a great year and come back again,