The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.
11634089

my imac running os 9.1 and os x 10.3.9 crashed i tried to

Customer Question

my imac running os 9.1 and os x 10.3.9 crashed i tried to connect an ipod mini ... os 9.1 itunes didn't show it and the ipod said I couldn't disconnect so I ended up pulling the cord went to ox x and I believe it froze there when I connected ... can't remember exact sequence   at any rate, I get the flashing folder at startup ... this has happened twice in last 2 months and I can restart off cd and go to os x and then bring up classic and after that I can then restart in os 9 ... however now I cannot start off cd holding c key down ... i can start up the hardware test disc though ... i have zapped the pram and tried starting with shift key down for ext off but nothing works ... what next??? HELP! (oh, hardware test shows all ok)
Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 7 years ago.
Do you have your 10.3 install disks? Since you can still get into OS9 it is obviously not a hard drive crash, and you should do a clean reinstall of your OSX installation. If you need help with that, please let me know. (None of your data should be affected, provided you do the installation right.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, I cannot get into OS 9 OR OS X. When I start up I get the flashing ? folder and then cannot start up from any CD. I have done the clean install a month ago and that worked but today I cannot start up from a CD. Is there any way to do that other than putting it in and restarting holding down the C button? Still need an answer. Nancy
What iMac is it? G3, G4, or G5? And what disk or disks are you trying to boot it up to? Did it boot to one of those cds before? You may be dealing with a failed logic board.