The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.
11634089

I run Mac 10.5.6 and AOL Desktop for Mac 1.5. When I receive

Customer Question

I run Mac 10.5.6 and AOL Desktop for Mac 1.5. When I receive an email with more than one attachment, I have to download each attachment (file) one at a time. The "Save All..." at the top of the download dialogue menu does nothing but bring up a window that looks like a desktop. Please help
Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 8 years ago.
My best suggestion for aol to run as smoothly as possible on a mac is not to use the aol desktop app, but instead to use the aol service assistant to import your aol mail settings into the much more well developed and designed macmail application which will give you numerous pluses over the desktop app, and a much cleaner integration with your mac. Give it a try, you can download it or free from the aol downloads page. It will totally solve your aol mail download woes (which are extremely common with aol mac users. )
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't understand this line:

use the aol service assistant to import your aol mail settings
The AOL service assistant is a program AOL developed with the purpose of making it easy to set up AOL users with their email through the very powerful and simply usable MacMail program that comes on every Mac. The Service Assistant also assists in migrating Addresses into the Apple Address Book, IM Users into iChat, etc... In other words, it makes it very easy for AOL users to get everything working in a much cleaner and simpler and well-developed way than through any of the AOL made programs. You can download it for free from http://daol.aol.com/software/ and it will walk you through the process.

Unfortunately, you will probably never get the AOL Desktop software to work flawlessly, but this can help you migrate that data to programs that work more securely and effectively.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I paid $9...
Thank you. I hope my suggestion helps you to solve your issue.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, I took your suggestion and used the Service Assistant to setup Mail. I will use Mail only for email with multiple attachment files to download, otherwise, I will stick to AOL Desktop for Mac.
I think once you start to use macmail you will discover what many of my formerly aol clients had learned... It is elegant, and a perfect alternative to aol's software. Let me know how you get along with it.