KevinK
KevinK, Apple Certified Trainer
Experience:  10 years with Mac computers, Certified trainer for various software, nationwide workshop presenter

i cannot reset my keychain it tells me unable to update li

Customer Question

i cannot reset my keychain it tells me unable to update library
Category: Mac
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
Not sure what Mac you have or OSX version you have but have you tried the following?

To reset your keychain in Mac OS X 10.4, or Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, or later:

Open Keychain Access, which is in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder.
From the Keychain Access menu, choose Preferences.
Click Reset My Keychain, which is under the General pane.
Authenticate with your account login password.
Quit Keychain Access.
Restart your computer.

To reset your keychain in Mac OS X 10.3 through 10.3.9
:

From the Window menu, choose Keychain First Aid.
Click Options...
Quit Keychain Access.
Restart your computer.

We need to start somewhere.

Kevin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when i choose first aid i dont see where the options button is to click on i have tried clicking on preferences but it wont let me reset
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.

Select, Verify and click Start. Any problems found will be displayed.
If there are problems, select Repair and then click Start.

Once repaired then try to reset.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it still does not reset the keychain i still receive error code 9813 when i try to use i tunes
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
Okay now we are getting somewhere.....

WHat version of itunes are you using AND what version of OSX do you have?

Kevin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its 10.4.11 and i am using i tunes 8
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
Try this, if you haven't:
Open Keychain Access.
Select Preferences from the Dropdown Keychain Access menu.
Within the General tab, click the button labeled Reset My Keychain.
A new empty Keychain is created.

Restart your computer.

Let me know.

Kevin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have tried that several times it tells me a new keychain is created but it still will not let me access i tunes or reset the keychain
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
One more thing to try: Go to your Utilities Folder and Select Disk Utilities On the left hand side select your Macintosh HD. On the lower portion: Hit Repair Permissions.

Kevin

Do you restart your computer after the keychain is reset?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i tried that it still will not reset the keychain i restart the computer every time it creates a new log in but then it wont update it just says something else went wrong
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
Just trying to understand:

You HAVE already Repaired Permissions on your HD?

Kevin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes i have repaired but it does not make any difference i still get the error code and i still cannot reset the keychain it just tells me   it is unable to update

Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
Apple added a keychain preference "Synchronize login keychain password".

The other part of that issue is they added this feature without really letting anyone know.

In this particular situation, the solution might be to check to see if that "synchronize" box is UNCHECKED, run keychain first aid, and then change the keychain password XXXXX something different (and then change it back to what you really want it to be).

Try this.

Kevin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do i change the    keychain password
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
Open Keychain Access located in Applications/Utilities, and select the keychain in the Keychains list (click Show Keychains if the list is not open).

Choose Edit > "Change Password XXXXX Keychain 'login'."

(The name of the keychain in the menu matches the name of the selected keychain. If you selected the keychain that unlocks when you log in, the name you see is "login.")

If the keychain is locked, type the password XXXXX unlock it.

Type the current password XXXXX this keychain.

Type a new password, then type it again to verify.

Click OK.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have tried everything you said and still not getting anywhere have no idea how to fix this
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
I have one more thing to try, but I want to ask this one question:

Have you updated all your OSX software?

Kevin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it tells me all my software is up to date
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
Last resort:

You can reinstall Mac OS X while keeping your files and user settings intact.

Insert the Mac OS X Install Disc and double-click the Install Mac OS X icon.

Follow the onscreen instructions. In the panel where you select the destination disk, select your current Mac OS X disk (in most cases, it will be the only one available).

Click Options. If you want to save your existing files, users, and network settings, select "Archive and Install," then select "Preserve Users and Network Settings." If you want to erase everything on your computer and reinstall Mac OS X, select "Erase and Install." You can't recover erased data.

Click Continue.
Click Customize to select which parts of Mac OS X you'd like to install, or click Install to perform a basic installation (recommended).

This process is known to correct the problem.

Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i never got an install disc when i bought this computer the only disc i got is a protection plan is this the correct disc       
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
Hmmmm...

This presents another problem. Where and when did you purchase the Mac?

Kevin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i bought it almost three years ago from comp usa and they are no longer in buisness could i buy one of those discs
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
Can you give me the serial Number of your machine?

I will look at some options including your protection plan.

Kevin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
here it is w8604nh5u2n
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
Do you have the date on your paperwork for the Apple Protection Plan--like when it expired?

You may need to enroll in your plan.

Also check the Protection Agreement for a number and if the date is less than three years go to:

http://www.apple.com/support/service/help/warrantycheck/

Kevin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
it would have expired two tears ago thats all i know i think this whole problem was caused by my dsl provider ever since he made me reset the settings for verizon
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
Your model as your serial number states is

iMac (Early 2006 17-inch)
Serial #: W8604NH5U2N
United States
Out of Warranty

If you purchased the Apple Protection Plan it could not have expired two years ago.

Can you locate the agreement you received with that disk?

Kevin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok on the box it gives these numbers(NNN) NNN-NNNNnbsp;  it says it was bought 03 09 06
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
Did you register this info online?
if not--make sure you have an Apple ID and go to:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/Agreements.do

It should be good until 03-09-09

Kevin