KevinK, Apple Certified Trainer
Experience:  10 years with Mac computers, Certified trainer for various software, nationwide workshop presenter

Printing from a Mac using InDesign or Adobe Reader to an HP

Customer Question

Printing from a Mac using InDesign or Adobe Reader to an HP OfficeJet 7410 (All-in-One) does not print correctly whenever I do anything like rotate images, gradients, etc., i.e. anything that is standard in every Postscript package.
Category: Mac
Expert:  KevinK replied 7 years ago.

Let's try to solve the problem.

What OSX version are you using?

The 7410 does not support Mac OS 9.0 and earlier or OS X v 10.2, 10.2.1, 10.2.2.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As I said, I have the latest of everything. Mac OS X 10.5.6

Expert:  KevinK replied 7 years ago.
What version Postscript driver do you have installed?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

First, one does not install the Postcript Driver (it is part of the operating system).

Second, this has no bearing on the problem which has existed for years.

If you don't know the issue, just say so. Don't waste my time with irrelevant questions.

Expert:  KevinK replied 7 years ago.

It is hard to know the problem and your situation if I don't questions.

Most importantly, if this problem has existed for years, and I see that it has with HP, why are you not contact HP for the resolution?

If you are offended by my questions, I am sorry.

I am just trying to solve the problem for you or come up with a work-around.

Nothing is Irrelevant when it comes to trying to understand your problem and assist you with it.

Do you want my assistance?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What will change in your response when I tell you the Postscript version?

If you cannot answer that question, then your question is irrelevant.
Expert:  KevinK replied 7 years ago.
Just curious have you exported all your InDesign out as a PDF and printed directly to the printer?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As I already said in my first message, yes I have printed PDF's from Adobe Acrobat.

Yes, I have printed directly from InDesign.

Yes, I have printed from other page layout packages.
Expert:  KevinK replied 7 years ago.
Have you tried Printing to another printer? According to the HP archchives in 2005, HP Mac Reps have discussed this issue.

Like you stated earlier, this is has been an on-going issue. I believe you need to bring it up with HP about your printer not in this forum.

Obviously, this website can not assist you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Printing to another printer is not a solution.

It is impossible to talk to anyone at HP, that's why I tried this site, which purports to have Mac experts.

The issue I bring up is one that any Mac expert should have encountered 100 times, as it is the most popular printer on the market coupled with the most popular software on the market (InDesign, Adobe Acrobat etc...).

Can I get a refund of my "good faith" $9 as it is clear that you have no desire nor ability to solve even the most common of Mac problems?