KevinK
KevinK, Apple Certified Trainer
Experience:  10 years with Mac computers, Certified trainer for various software, nationwide workshop presenter
14642172

My MS word program seems stuck in double-space. I have tried

My MS word program seems stuck in double-space. I have tried to change it using format then line space but it doesn't work. This double-spacing happens only when I use the shift key to return to left margin. If I type continually and returns itself, this does not happen. Help?
Hello:

Let's get your poems back in the right format.
You say that this double spacing happens only when you "use the shift key to return to left margin"

I am assuming you mean the RETURN key.

One thing you need to take a look at your Paragraph Spacing. (In the same location as Alignment and Spacing).

Change Before and After to a Zero. This should solve your problem.

Let me know.

Kevin
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You are right that inside the paragraph spacing, it was set at 10 pt. I changed that to 0 (twice) and checked the box (one time) that asks not to add space between paragraphs of the same style. When I opened a document, it didn't work,and when I went back to paragraphs in the menu, I found that it had reverted to 10 pt. Is this because the document was originally created with that setting? Or is there something wrong?
Thank you so much for your help!
Two things:

If it was initially set as that, then yes it will be that way until you do a Save AS.
Just Saving a document created that way will not effect the original paragraph spacing.

Glad to be of service. Most Questions? Just Ask.

Kevin
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dear XXXXX,
It works if I begin a new document, change the 10pt to 0, then save as. but the next time I create a new document, I have to go through that process all over again--do I have to do this forever now? I didn't before. is there some default setting somewhere that I can undo? I'm sorry this is such a problem. I'm also new to justask, and was confused about the emails, the links, etc.
Thanks so much!
Carolyn
No problem.
You can set a default.

Open up a blank document.

Go up to FORMAT and down to Style.

Click on Normal and then Modify

Bottom left is FORMAT Menu

Click on that and select Paragraph.
You can change it from there permanently.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dear XXXXX, I did as you asked, but it worked only for the first document I opened in the new format style. How do I keep in permanent?
I can't believe how hard this is.
Carolyn
1. Close all open copies of Word.
2. Open Word.
3. Click on the round Office button in the upper-left corner of the window.
4. Click Open.
5. Select Templates in the Favorite Links pane.
6. Select Normal.dotm. Normal.dotm should become your open document.
7. Now set all that you want in the document, including text in any headers and footers.
8. Save the file. You may get a warning message about the Global template having been changed. This is OK. Click Yes.
9. Close Word.
10. Re-open and your Blank Document should be the way you saved it.

Let me know.

Kevin
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm very happy to pay extra for extra help. I don't know how to apply to pay extra. I don't have a "favorite links" in my word program. the only button in the top left of my word document (12.1.4 version) is "create new word document"--so I opened that. I found "templates" under tools in the menu and opened that. (Do not know what a "pane" is and do not have anything called "favorite links.") Selected Normal.dotm (which was already selected). In the new document, I went to format and changed "10" to "0" and kept everything else as is. I typed a little in the new document after saving it and it went okay. I saved it, closed it, opened another one and was back to the same problem. So I haven't solved it yet. Please help more if you can.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Two things...You can pay a bonus when you Accept my Answers.

But not to worry....

If you save the file properly, the blank document SHOULD be the format you set up. I'm just not sure what is or is not happening. Hmmmmm..........

Here is more explanation for changing a document template:

On the File menu, click Open.

On the Enable pop-up menu, click Word Templates.

Locate and open the template that you want to modify.

Unless you save the template in a different location, templates are in /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/My Templates/.

In the document, add, delete, or change any text, graphics, or formatting, and make any other changes that you want to appear in all new documents that you base on the template.

Click Save , and then on the File menu, click Close.

Tips

Changes that you make to the template do not affect existing documents that are based on the template. To update an existing document so that it uses the modified template, open the document, switch to print layout view, on the Tools menu, click Templates and Add-Ins, and then select the Automatically update document styles check box. Word updates the document to use the modified template.

To have a template appear in the My Templates category of the Project Gallery, save the new or updated template in /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/My Templates.

To create custom categories for templates in the Project Gallery, use the Finder to create a new folder in /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/My Templates. Then save your templates in the new folder. The name of the new folder appears in the Category list.

To use the template immediately after you create or modify it, after you save and close the template file, on the File menu, click Project Gallery. Under Category, click My Templates (or your custom category, if you created one), and then double-click the template to create a new document based on that template.