Rob, Mac Genius
Experience:  14 years Mac experience, 10 years Mac Consulting, ran a printshop for 23 years.

Imac intel duo core intermittently drops internet and printer

Customer Question

Imac intel duo core intermittently drops internet and printer from airport wireless network. Robust signal, utility recognizes extreme and (2) expresses. Imac works fine with ethernet connection but not wireless. I suspect a flaw in intel mac other machines (G4 & G5 ) work fine on same network while the intel machine is crapping out. Workaround? Apple tech support seems in denial tha there is an INTEL IMAC wireless problem.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.

I have had wireless problems like this in the past also. I had gone through 3 Apple Airports within 4 years with drop out problems and finally decided to buy a different brand router. I bought a Buffalo router and had no drop outs at all.

Some of the new computers do seem to have wireless problems though. I bought a MacBook Pro back in August and couldn't get on my wireless home network right off the bat. The MacBook Pro saw the network, had full signal strength bars but wouldn't connect. The Buffalo router is a B/G/N router. I called Buffalo and they told me to set it on one setting such as G and restart the router. The got it going but I had lots of drop outs.

Last month I decided to go to Best Buy and buy the cheapest wireless router they had. I bought a Dynex wireless router and haven't had any problems since.

So, my answer is try changing the mode of the router to a single letter mode or go buy another router. It may not be the answer you want to hear but it seems like the best answer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Buy another router? !he router works fine. One machine drops out. This isn't helpful.
Expert:  Rob replied 7 years ago.
Buying another router was one of the suggestions. The other is to change the mode to a single letter like G.