The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.

every time I try to open an application it uses iphoto to

every time I try to open an application it uses iphoto to try to open it. my mac incorrectly has iphoto as the set program to open different applications, how do i fix this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 7 years ago.
Is this when you open any application? Or particular attachments? Please be as specific as possible. Are you opening the apps from the desktop, or the dock? etc...
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
not every application, a lot of applications that i download such as tuneclone & media coder.
I am trying to open the apps. that i downloaded to help enable me to transfer music i bought from itunes to my sansa fuze mp3 player.

what is the extension (the 3 digit code at the end of the name) of the downloads?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well that's your problem right there. .exe filed are windows files and try will never run on a mac, so changing iPhoto won't solve that problem. You will need to download a mac capable program.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do you have any suggestions for a mac capable program that may work for what I am trying to do?
I'm assuming the reason you need to do this is to get the DRM encoded iTunes files onto the non-apple device. First of all, you can simplify this process in the future by buying music from the Amazon store instead. They have streamlined the process so that it gets downloaded straight into your itunes, and can be used with any device... plus it's cheaper than iTunes and in most cases better quality.

Unfortunately there is just no easy way to transfer music to non-drm on a mac. Best I can suggest for you is to burn it to a cd, and then re-rip it back into itunes. This will reformat it in a way that can be used in any device. Before you do it though, go into your itunes preferences, and into your general settings. 2/3 of the way down the page you will see import options. Click that, and make sure it is set to mp3 other than aac.

Also, to streamline the process, I would do full albums at a time. That way, when you re-upload them the computer will be able to fill in the album info.

I would do it for all your purchased music, and delete the DRM copies as you go along. You may lose a little fidelity, but you will gain a lot of freedom with your music.

Hopefully that helps.