The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.
11634089

I have a MAC G4 with OS X 10.3.9 we can not remember the admin

Customer Question

I have a MAC G4 with OS X 10.3.9 we can not remember the admin password XXXXX can not login pass the window logon screen, We are trying to upgade to Tiger. How can we by pass the or remove the admin password. I took the memory and removed the battery hoping this would affect the non volital memory
Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 7 years ago.
Put the tiger DVD in the drive. Restart the computer and hold down the c key. When the install disk starts up, click onthe utilities menu and select password XXXXX From there pick your admin user and reset your password XXXXX whatever you like. Then continue with the tiger upgrade.

Let me know if you hve any questions or need any additional help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
did not work the MAC stills comes up with the MAC OS X screen expecting a password
Did you hold down the c key on your keyboard as soon as it restarted? You need to keep it held down until you see the spinning wheel under the apple.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, however I tried again just to be sure and it still failed
Where did the tiger disk come from? Do you still have the 10.3 disks the computer came with? I think it's not properly booting to the disk in the first place.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The disk came from my MAC PRO, the MAC orginally came with OS 9.1 we cannot find the Panther disc they may have walked on me. I do have the orginal OS 9.1

That's what I thought. Your mac pro is intel, and your G4 is powerpc and they are incompatible. Os9 doesn't have a way to reset a osx password. You need to get a hold of an actual osx install disk. What speed is your G4? Maybe you can upgrade all the way to 10.5.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My MAC is only 533 and can not upgrade to leporard. I hope this is not a SOL resolution.
Not at all. You should go online to http://www.macsales.com and purchase a full install copy of Tiger. It will properly install and allow you to reset the password. You can also try finding a copy on craigslist or ebay (you might find a better deal) but make sure you get a full install disk, not an upgrade disk.

If you need help tracking down a copy just let me know.