The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.
11634089

My 2000 iMac G3 will not boot up. It gets to a grey apple

Customer Question

My 2000 iMac G3 will not boot up. It gets to a grey apple and a twirling thing and that is it. Ihave tried booting it up with a OS 9.4 cd and ti will boot up with that. However it will not boot up without it. It will not boot up with an OS 10.3. It gets to a certain point with that and says I need firmware update to continue. There is no harddrive mount icon on the desk top when I boot up with )S 9.
Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 8 years ago.
Sounds like your hard drive is dead. You can replace it pretty easily by going to http://www.owc.com and purchasing a new drive. You will need to install os9 first, then run the software updates and run the firmware update it requires so that you can upgrade to osx (which you really should do to get the most out of your machine. )

Let me know if you need additional help.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That link was an Oliver Wyman consulting firm. Where would I go to get a hard drive? jobaby
My bad. Try this link. Http://www.macsales.com