Thomas Z
Thomas Z, Mac Genius
Experience:  15 Years of Personal Experience on Mac, 6 months full time Computer Tech with Mac specialty

i just connected my new samsung clp 315w to my Mac, installed

i just connected my new samsung clp 315w to my Mac, installed the software, and it doesn't work. The Smart Panel just "Please Wait", but has been saying this for 15 minutes. I have shut down and re-started the printer 2X now.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/DR/200810/20081006170840078_CLP-310.zip

Download this file and extract it. We will setup your printer manually.

Open Printer Driver Installer click on Continue until the printer driver is installed. Now restart your machine.

When your machine comes back up, open up System Preferences and click on Print & Fax.

Click on the + button on the right side of the window.

Your printer will show up under default. Under the Print Using drop down, make sure that your driver is selected, click Add. Attempt to print to your printer from any application.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This did not work. When I attempt to print, the print status window comes up with this message:
"Printer is currently off-line."
The manual says that the USB is not connected. I have tried two other USB ports, and I have successfully printed to a different printer. I have also tried a different cable.

I have a RED LED light lit next to the Yellow status indicator. I have tried removing and re-installing all print cartidges, to no affect. Any ideas?

Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Can you give me your Mac's specs?
What version of Mac OS X?
What model do you have?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Macbook Pro 15"
Running OSX 10.5.5 4 GB memory
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Unplug your printer and hold down the power button for 10 seconds.

Plug it back in and see if the red light goes away.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Red light did not go away
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Pulled from Samsung's website:

The following conditions can cause the On Line LED to glow solid red:
-Printer paper is jammed inside your printer.
-A cover is not be closed properly.
-The toner cartridge is not inserted properly and needs to be reinstalled.
-The toner cartridge is running low.
-There is no paper in the paper tray.
-The paper inside the paper tray is not be installed correctly.

Please verify these and we can continue troubleshooting on Mac OS X.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The online light is green. There are four markers for the cartridges to the right - the one next to the yellow is red. I am on with Samsung phone support - they are referring to level 2
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
How did tech support go last night?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No luck. I took the printer into the Apple store and exchanged it for a new one. The new one did the exact same thing as the old one, even after I tried to network it vs. use the usb. So, I think there is a problem with the Apple operating system.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Are you 100% sure that there is no packing material left in the machine? New printers come with a great deal of plastic covers etc like on the ink cartridges and under all the flaps, etc. Do you have another computer to test this printer with?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have looked everywhere and cannot find a thing. I will try the other printer tomorrow night.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
If you can get this printer to print with another computer we will be able to rule out any problem with the printer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried a second mac - same exact issues.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
This sounds like a DOA or there is something that you are doing wrong while setting it up. It will be pretty much impossible for me to tell you what. Unfortunately that red light status is for a number of problems. A number of review sites have said that a very common flaw is that the transfer belt fails showing only a red light and keeping the printer from coming online. I have read about 10 reviews online with the same exact symptoms as you, some of them were new others had worked for several months. If you can, call the Apple Store and see if their machines will work with the printer. They may help you considering this is your second printer with the same problem.

To be honest, I would return this printer and change brands, this unit is chronically flawed.
Thomas Z, Mac Genius
Experience: 15 Years of Personal Experience on Mac, 6 months full time Computer Tech with Mac specialty
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Thomas. I appreciate the work. This has soured me on Samsung - as you may know, I did return the machine and got a new one. I don't have the time or patience to take it back again. I'll just chalk this up to a bad experience and never buy another samsung appliance again.

I know you didn't fix this, but I'll mark it accepted. Thanks.