The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.
11634089

Hello! I am a MAC newbie. I have aquired two old MAC laptops

Hello! I am a MAC newbie. I have aquired two old MAC laptops to get accustomed to MACs to see what they area all about. One is a G3 Firewire Clamshell 366 running 10.2.8, and a G4 ibook 800Mhz running 10.3.9. From all indications and threads I have read, my HD has failed in the G4 (IOATAController device blocking bus) in single user mode (single user is all I can get to, won't go past Apple logo and spinning gear screen). I have purchased a new HDD and plan on following the ifixit instructions for replacement. However, I am wanting to know if it would be possible to load the 10.3.2 CDs that came with the G4 via firewire (to the new HDD mounted in an external enclosure) from the G3 clamshell, before installing the new HDD in the G4? Or should I install (via same method) the 10.3 full install retail disks that I bought off ebay?
You could install that way, but it seems like extra work, and the g3 will slow the whole process down due to it's slow speed. Install the drive directly into the g4, and then boot to the full install 10.3 disks, and when it boots, format the drive using disk utility, and thenrun the install. Should be a simpler more direct way to get you up and running.