Jeremy Chow
Jeremy Chow, Mac Genius
Experience:  Use of Mac OS both professionally (design/web oriented) and individually for the past 7 years
14676049

apple tv will not show up as a device on itunes

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 5 years ago.
Has it ever showed up as a device before?

Are you and your appleTV on the same wireless (or hardwired network)?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Go into the apple tv settings, and check if there are any available updates. If there are, run them.

By yes, do you mean it has worked before on this machine? If so, what if anything has changed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I sent a reply earlier, but itmust not have reached you.

Your suggestion did not work.

I would greatly appreciate additional suggestions.

If these do not work, I will certainly pay you anyway. I'm a physician and I get paid even if my efforts do not succeed. So should you.
Expert:  Jeremy Chow replied 5 years ago.
It is worth doing a basic network check as this can often cause issues for devices that are connected to it.

1. Goto Settings - > Network on your Apple TV
2. See if an IP address exists
3. If nothing appears or you have an IP that starts with 169.xxx... then this means there is a network issue.
4. If there is a network issue, try restarting all network devices including the wired/wireless router, the apple tv and your computer/s.

Failing this (and if all your other network devices are working correctly with each other) then it might be worth trying a factory restore.

1. Press and hold the Menu and Menu down button (-) on the Apple Remote for a few seconds until the Apple TV status light blinks amber.
2. Select a language.
3. Select Factory Restore.

If your device worked originally, then restoring the device is likely to bring it back to the state it was in when it previously worked. If it still doesn't work, then you may want to take it into the Apple store to be seen by a Genius, as you may have developed a faulty unit.

Hope this helps.
Jeremy Chow, Mac Genius
Experience: Use of Mac OS both professionally (design/web oriented) and individually for the past 7 years