The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.

macbook pro 15 trackpad selects as soon as trackpad is to

macbook pro 15" trackpad selects as soon as trackpad is touched
Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 7 years ago.
You should go into your system preferences, and click on keyboard & Mouse (or trackpad depending on your operating system), and under the trackpad section, check to see if the checkbox labeled "Clicking" is checked. If it is, uncheck it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is unchecked this is not the answer
So is it creating a lasso everywhere you click? Is this a recent development? Can you see any sand or foreign substance around the edge of the trackpad? If you click down on the button does it give way, or does it feel like it's already pushed down?

Try this, go into another user account (if you don't have one, you can create one by going to system preferences then to accounts, and click the plus button to create a new one), and see if the trackpad behaves the same way. If it does, it is a hardware issue and will most likely need to be looked at in person by an apple genius or other apple tech.... if it works fine, it is software related and we can continue to troubleshoot and see if we can find out why it is behaving like this.

Either way, let me know what happens, and we can figure out the next step.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Have crerated new account and the trackpad is working perfectly, so where do we go from here?

Ok. What operating system are you running? You can find out by going to the apple menu and selecting about this mac. Let's make sure you are totally up to date also. Go to apple menu and select software update, and run everything.

Let me know what OS you are on so I will know where to guide you next.