Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience

mac display monitor will not power on

mac display monitor will not power on
Category: Mac
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

Can you tell me what kind of Mac you have? Is the monitor a separate monitor, or is it integrated in with the CD ROM drive of the computer? Has it ever powered on?

Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have a G4 powerbook. it is separately from the monitor which is a 32' Apple Cinema monitor. it is only a few years old and has worked fine until a week ago. i purchased a new powerstrip and plugged the monitor back into it. but i have had to alternate with the electrical outlet as i thought that i had too much plugged into the powerstrip. The last few days it has taken 6 times or more then the monitor ligtht would come on and power up as normal. i has always worked great. it is like new.
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

Okay. Often this means you have a bad power brick, but let's try some simple fixes first.

1) Unplug every cable that you can going to or from the monitor.

2) Plug all of those cables back in, making sure they are firmly inserted into their sockets

3) Try powering it back on. Does it work now?

4) If not, reset the PRAM on your PowerBook and see if that helps. Instructions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

If that doesn't work, I need a bit more information. The power brick has a light on it under the power switch - does it light up at all when you try to turn it on? If so, how many times does it blink?

Let me know how that works for you! Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi, i just unplugged everything and reconnected and the monitor turned on. i am going to shut the whole system down just to make sure. Regarding the blinking light on the power brick or adapter brick? there is no blinking light.
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

Sounds good!

How big is your display? Better yet, if you can send me the serial number of your display I can look up the specifications on it. There are a few different models... the light should be on the power brick, but it depends on which model.

Thanks! Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OH, SORRY, I THOUGH THAT YOU WERE SPEAKING ABOUT THE LARGE WHITE BRICK LOOKING ADAPTER. I HAVE A MAC 32' CINEMA DISPLAY MONITOR - SERIAL#2A5331DRPKL. NOW, THE LIGHT IS NOT ON BUT THE MONITOR IS WORKING. WHEN I PRESS THE POWER BUTTON ON THE BOTTOM RIGHT SIDE OF THE MONITOR, THE LIGHT GOES ON. WHEN THE PROGRAM DISPLAYS ON THE MONITOR FROM THE LAPTOP, THE LIGHT GOES OUT. SINCE I HAVE HAD THE MONITOR, THE LIGHT NEVER BLINKED. I JUST LIT UP WHEN I POWERED UP THE MONITOR. HOPE THIS HELPS. THANKS
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

That's very helpful, thanks!

So just to confirm - you are not seeing any amber flashing lights, correct?

1) Make sure you reset the PRAM too, as described above. Does that help?

2) One thing we can try is reinstalling the Apple displays software.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2804?viewlocale=en_US

I have the same monitor and am using a big white adapter box that connects to the video cable and gets very, very hot. I wonder if that box might not be working properly anymore. Do you have access to another Mac that you can plug the monitor into, either with or without the additional adapter box? Also, do you have another monitor (even a PC monitor will work, with the adapter that came with your PowerBook) that you can try plugging into your laptop so that we can confirm the laptop is okay?

Your monitor has an ADC connector on it (rectangular with round ends), and the big white box converts the ADC connector to a DVI connector to match your PowerBook. We want to try and isolate where the problem is.

Let me know how these things work for you. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi again,

Well i have re-booted the computer three times now and everything is working fine. Do you think I should still re-install the apple software display now that it is working? i do not have another mac or monitor that i can test with. the ADC connector is plugged into the big white box? i am not sure if this is what you are speaking of. but i do know that the laptop is working with or without the monitor great.

let me know if i should reinstall the display software. If its not broken, don't fix it.

thanks
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

Great, I'm glad to hear it's working!

I wouldn't bother with the software reinstall if it's working now. Yes, the ADC connector is the one plugged into the big white box.

I cautiously think that it's fixed, but keep an eye on it and if you run into problems again try resetting the PRAM. I've read many articles about these monitors being very intermittent and the fix usually requires sending it into Apple, so this may not be the end.

If it does stop working again, feel free to come back and ask more in this thread.

Thanks for using JustAnswer! Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi,

i do not know what the PRAM is. Can you help me locate it? i hope i don't have to take it to Apple
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.

The PRAM is what you reset back at the beginning, by following these instructions:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience: 15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience