Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

thanks i still need to know how to empty my trash bucket. also

thanks i still need to know how to empty my trash bucket. also the things i have trashed are they lurking elsewhere in the system like amulti headed hydra?... You can see I am a bit dim with all this stuff.
Hi.

To empty your trash can, hold down your Mouse button (left) or Trackpad button on the Trash can until a menu pops up.

From this menu you can choose to Empty Trash.

Also, if you go to a Finder Window and then click on the File Menu you can choose Empty Trash in there. You can also choose Secure Empty Trash as well. This method securely deletes all files in the Trash and makes them impossible to recover.

Anything deleted the normal way from the Trash is still on the Hard Drive, but is marked as deleted space and is available to the OS to store something else in.

Secure Delete marks the space as empty as well, but the system overwrites the space with garbage so it cannot be recovered.

Hope this helps,
_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for reply in empty my trash, however it cannot be emptied because the item 'Realplayer' download is in use.. badge
Ahhh, Ok.

that means the software is still running.

Look in your Dock and see if there is an icon that has RealPlayer as its name. Hold down your Trackpad/Mouse (left) button on it and choose Quit.

Next, look on the Desktop and see if there is a drive icon that says Realplayer Install or similar. Drag that to the Trash to unmount the Drive.

You should now be able to Empty the Trash. If it still complains, Restart your Mac and it will go away and then you can empty the Trash when it finishes starting up.

Let me now,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help much appreciated. to empty the trash I finally had to turn the whole thing off and that did the trick.