KevinK
KevinK, Apple Certified Trainer
Experience:  10 years with Mac computers, Certified trainer for various software, nationwide workshop presenter

how do I set the printer preferences in adobe photoshop elements

Customer Question

how do I set the printer preferences in adobe photoshop elements for the mac?
Category: Mac
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
Hello:

Not a problem about the deposit. We are here to help.

Printer Preferences are not in Adobe, they are in your System Preferences.

Go up to your Apple icon in the upper left of your screen.

Click on System Preferences.graphic
Click on Printer and Fax and select your printer. If it is not listed you will have to install it. You can select this Printer to be the default printer.

Let me know how this works for you!!

Kevin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can pick the right printer, what I can't do is set the preferences of that printer. In particular it doesn't let me choose my paper type. (I want to use high resolution paper.)

In both my Missing Manuals for Photoshop Elements 6 (for both the Mac and Windows) it clearly shows there is a button called Printer Pereferences under the warning to "disable color management in the printer preference dialog" and before the Printer Profile. That button does not appear when I try to print in my version of Photoshop Elements 6. I can send you a screen shot if that would help.
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
Yes, please do send me a pic.

Kevin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
Okay--

Let's talk printer. What kind of printer do you have installed?

How is it connected?

Kevin
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's a Canon Pixma MP780. It's connected with a USB cable, and I can set my paper preferences if I print in Preview, but not in iPhoto or Photoshop Elements. I can print in Photoshop Elements, but only with a standard preset.
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
Okay, what I may suggest is you to uninstall the printer drivers and the MP software:
(From the online manual)
1 Close any open software applications, including virus checkers.
2 Double-click the hard disk icon where the MP Driver was installed, double-click the [Applications] folder, double-click the [Utilities] folder and then double-click [Printer Setup Utility] (with any system other than Mac OS X v.10.3.x, double-click the [Utilities] folder and then the [Printer List]).
3 Select all BJ printers registered in the [Printer List] and click [Delete].
4 Double-click the hard disk icon where the ScanGear Starter 1.0E was installed, double-click the [Applications] folder, then put the [ScanGear Starter 1.0E] folder into Trash.
5 Double-click the hard disk icon where the MP Driver was installed, the [Library] folder, the [Printers] folder followed by the [Canon] folder and then put the [BJPrinter] folder into Trash

6 Restart the computer

IMPORTANT

If restarting the computer is necessary, disconnect the USB cable before the computer restarts.
7 Disconnect the USB cable from the computer and the machine.
Then I would reinstall the software:

After uninstalling the software in the order MP Navigator, ScanGear Starter 1.0E (Macintosh), and then MP Drivers, reinstall the software.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I couldn't find either Printer List or Printer Setup Utility under Applications/Utilities, but I don't think uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver makes sense. I can get the options I need in Preview...they're hidden but I stumbled across them. I think I'll just phone Adobe tech support Monday about the missing button in Photoshop Elements.

I'm willing to pay you for your time, but will wait until after I try Adobe Monday.
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
THat will probably be your best bet.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was disappointed that you told me to uninstall and reinstall the printer driver after I told you I could set the paper type in Preview. The solution was to choose the Preview option and go through the steps of printing it there. I was already doing that and gave you a chance to tell me how to do it more easily...it's tedious to have to do that every time. In fact the solution then was to save my settings as a preset. It would have saved me a lot of time if you had thought of that, but as it was I found the answer in The Missing Manual--Mac OS X Leopard. It seems to me it's not unreasonable to expect a Mac expert to know this.

I don't care about the $15 but I don't want to say you helped. Is there anyway to do this?
Expert:  KevinK replied 5 years ago.
Well, sometimes we overlook the obvious and I am glad you found the answer. A Mac Expert, like any human being, does not know everything.

However, I am glad you found the answer. Yes, I didn't give you the answer you wanted. So, just don't accept the answer. It's simple.

Again, I'm sorry that I failed in providing you the proper answer you wanted.

Kevin