Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience

I got all sorts of virus warnings and that my computer was

Customer Question

I got all sorts of virus warnings and that my computer was high risk for privacy invasion and virus....when i attempted to install to help with this problem....it would not respond....i'm concerned,,,very concerned about this and don't know what to do about it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.
Hello lucky,

You're lucky that you're using a Mac: the messages you're seeing are web advertisements that are trying to trick you into clicking on them. Many of them are trying to sell you anti-virus and anti-spyware software for PCs, while others are created by hackers to install spyware and viruses on PCs. Note that these typically target PCs, not Macs. At this point, Macs are generally protected from those kinds of things and no particular virus protection is really necessary. Apple's built-in software does a pretty good job of keeping these things away, and nearly no viruses exist that attack the Mac.

So the short story - you're fine, just ignore the ads you're seeing.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. Kind regards,

Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience: 15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Shawn, Thanks....but it didn't look like an advertisement and when I called GeekSquad they said the problem was going to gett worse...yadah, ydah, ydah....so ur sure that i'm protected....it showed up on my C drive ....thanks....i think i just need more reassurance because i'm very computer illitierate....lucky
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.
Hello lucky,

You're welcome! I highly recommend NOT consulting the Geek Squad for your Mac questions - their primary training is on PCs and most of them don't know up from down about Macs, and even worse won't tell you that they don't know. The information that they gave you about the problem getting worse is wrong, because you're on a Mac.

This is a great forum to ask Mac questions, and Apple stores also have trained people who know about Macs if you want to ask a question locally.

So, yes, you're fine. :-)

Thanks for using JustAnswer! Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Shawn, thanks....i got the feeling they didn't know what they were talking about....but i just wanted u to address the point i made about it not looking like an adverstisment bec it showed my harddrives infected.....the only suspicion i had were the little armor looking red emblem on the left....more reassurance please...and i will call a local store tomorrow...i really appreciate your patience with me....and btw, everytime i speak with you my a/c gets charged..or is it a one time fe??
Expert:  Shawn replied 5 years ago.
Lucky,

Oh - my apologies, I missed that part of your question. The spammers and hackers do their best to make the advertisements look like they are a part of your computer - and they do a VERY good job of it. There are two ways to figure out whether or not the messages are legitimate:

1) If it appears to be a dialog box, does it look like any other dialog box on your computer? Most of these ads are targeting Windows users and thus the artwork looks like Windows dialog boxes, not Mac ones.

2) When in doubt, quit your web browser (Safari). These fake messages always come through your web browser. Web browsers on the Mac are by default set to not allow the kind of access needed to scan the hard drive (which is what the advertisements claim to do), so by quitting the web browser, you prove that the message is an advertisement from the web instead of a legitimate message coming from your operating system.

That said - the Mac will never give you messages like what you're seeing anyway.

You only pay once, and you've clicked "Accept" already which means I've been paid.

Thanks! Let me know if you have any more questions. Kind regards,

Shawn