Daniel, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  I'm a long time Mac User with over 15 years experience supporting mac users in K-12 education.

need to change name of linksys router

Customer Question

need to change name of linksys router
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.

This process differs for different models, but the basic instruction is this.

1. from your computer Browser log into the administrative console of the Router.   Type the IP Address of the router in the URL field at the top of the browser window, and return. It is usually 192.168.1.1 but it could be different.

2. Enter your Administrative Username and Password XXXXX you have one. Again it is usually: Admin and a password XXXXX you created. Unless it was changed during the initial setup.

3. Select the Wireless Tab at the top of the administrative page.

4. Change the SSID from Linksys to something you like.

5. press the save settings button at the bottom of the screen.

Have a Happy New Year.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I could not access linksys adminstrative console page.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
You couldn't get to the page or didn't have the username and password?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
could not get to the page on firefox then after 3 hours i just gave up.
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Did you type in the IP Address I gave you?

What is the IP Address of your computer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
does IP mean internet provider, that would be Windstream.net
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry, No. The number I provided. type it into the Address area of FireFox.

192.168.1.1
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried this but it did not work, instead the router went off line and couldn't get it back up. I was able to get help from Roku, the instant movie watcher box. I still would like to change my router name from Linksys to a personal one. since i have $15.00 maybe we could work on this again. calling Linksys is not the solution, can't understand them. offshore trouble shooting. thanks again Judith
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.

Yes, We can work through it. I don't now why the router would have gone off line, but I'm glad you've got it going again.

First get me this information.
Your computer IP Address.

Go to the Apple Menu>About This Macintosh>More Info

From the System profiler select Network on the left side of the window.
At the top of the information window you should have a list of Network Active Services.

If you are connected to the ethernet directly then I need the number IP number at the fire right.
If you are connected by Airport then I need the number from that one.

The number should look like 192.168.1.??? or 10.0.1.???   It could be different, but should have 4 segments.

You should also be able to launch Safari to work on this while you have firefox open, that way you can keep the instructions open while you access the router.