Thomas Z
Thomas Z, Mac Genius
Experience:  15 Years of Personal Experience on Mac, 6 months full time Computer Tech with Mac specialty

I want to make sure my new macbook doesnt have any viruses.

I want to make sure my new macbook doesn't have any viruses. Also, I'm not sure how to download avi video files off the internet. I've tried to download the Divx player and converter, which i now have on my desktop but it still doesn't work. I've tried to change the file extension by means of creating an alias but that doesn't work either. Please help. My email address [email protected] and my phone number is XXXXX Many thanks, Sean
Category: Mac
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 7 years ago.
1) As for viruses, there are very very very few viruses or malicious software written for Mac OS X. I have never seen more than one or two viruses on any version Mac OS as far back as 1995. However, there is software you can download to make sure. Symantec makes Norton Antivirus located at:

2) To play AVI files on your mac, I highly suggest you download VLC. VLC is able to play virtually any movie you can find online or elsewhere. It is one of my favorite apps for Mac, you can download that for free at:

There you go, have a wonderful new year and thank you for choosing JustAnswer!