The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.

When I start up my mac it gives me the message You need to

Customer Question

When I start up my mac it gives me the message "You need to restart you computer. Hold the power button for several seconds or press the restart button." What should I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 7 years ago.
Does it give you that message every time you start up? Having that message once in a while is not horribly out of the ordinary, but if it is happening frequently or consistently it is a bigger issue. Generally it is related to RAM. Have you recently upgraded your computer's operating system or RAM? Did anything change before this message started to appear?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No, the message only appeared today. Right before I shut it down yesterday, my mac told me it needed to update before so I left it on. I think I turned it off too soon before everything was downloaded and now it won't let me leave that screen.

Ok. That makes sense. You probably shut it down while it was updating, leaving it with an incomplete installation. We'll need to fix that asap. Do you have the install disks or another mac we can use to troubleshoot? Also, what model mac are you on, and what operating system?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm using the macbook OS X. I do have the install disks that came with the computer. Is that what you mean?
Which version of osx? 10.4 or 10.5? And do you have another mac available (it would be much easier, and prevent us from having to do a complete reinstall, which we can do, but which can be time consuming.)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have a 10.5 and don't have another mac. This is my first.
Ok, you will have to boot to the install disks. On the first screen select the language. On the second screen, click options, and select archive and reinstall. Make sure the checkbox to migrate users is clicked. On the third screen click customize, and turn off everything but the top option (essential installs).

When you finish the reinstall, boot up your mac, and run software update. Install EVERYTHING (even if you don't think you need or use it). When you are done, restart.

You will probably need to run software update a couple times and restart a couple times. Do not interrupt it mid-update. Let it complete each and every update fully. When this is complete, and you restart everything should be good to go.

If you hit any snags or have any questions let me know.