Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience

I have a Mac G4, in a G3 model desktop. Mac OS X version 10.3.9.

Customer Question

I have a Mac G4, in a G3 model desktop. Mac OS X version 10.3.9. Processor is a 400z Power PC G4. 512 MB Memory. I have a HP LazerJet 4 mp printer hooked up via a SCSI cord. The printer dialogue box recognizes the printer but says it can't find the Samba host. How can I get this thing to print?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Shawn replied 7 years ago.

I used to have a printer similar to yours and SCSI is not the way to go for connecting it to your Mac. Your best bet is to get a parallel USB converter, like this one:

Then when you add the printer, you'll want to choose the Gutenprint driver for "HP LaserJet 4M"

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. Kind regards,

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will accept your answer Shawn, based on the positive feedback you have received. I will follow your advice and get a parallel USB converter and a Gutenprint driver for the HP Laserjet 4M
Expert:  Shawn replied 7 years ago.

Thank you very much! Please do let me know if you have any questions after you get the hardware and install it.

Incidentally, the reason why SCSI is not working is that it's really designed to connect hard drives to the printer for job storage. The Samba errors you were getting were because it was trying to map the printer as a hard drive rather than as a printer.

Thanks for using JustAnswer! Kind regards,