KevinK
KevinK, Apple Certified Trainer
Experience:  10 years with Mac computers, Certified trainer for various software, nationwide workshop presenter
14642172

I am trying to learn how to use applescripts instead of macros

Customer Question

I am trying to learn how to use applescripts instead of macro's in Excel. Is there something that shows how to attach an applescript to a toolbar icon and write it to change a currency format icon, for example?
Category: Mac
Expert:  KevinK replied 8 years ago.
The Apple Computer AppleScript Web site is a great place to start. This Web site has links to many other sources of information about AppleScript and scripting the Macintosh, including overviews, tutorials, and AppleScript-related utility software.

To use this these links, visit the following Apple Web site:

http://www.apple.com/applescript/

To use the program-specific capabilities of Excel for Mac with AppleScript, open and examine the AppleScript dictionary that is supplied with Excel for Mac.

To use the Script Editor open the dictionary in Excel for Mac, follow these steps:
Start the Script Editor. To do this, follow these steps:
Open your hard disk.
Open the Applications folder.
Open the AppleScript folder. For the Apple OS versions earlier than OSX, open the Apple Extras folder, and then open the AppleScript folder.
Double-click Script Editor.
On the File Menu, click Open Dictionary.
In the Open Dictionary dialog box, select Microsoft Excel (Application) in the Name list, and then click Open.
In the window that appears, you can select an object or a class to view its description. You can also click the bold suite names to view an whole suite at one time. You can use the descriptions in this window to create scripts in the Script Editor to control Excel for Mac.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
KevinK, Apple Certified Trainer
Experience: 10 years with Mac computers, Certified trainer for various software, nationwide workshop presenter
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How do I attach the script to the toolbar icon? Is there an example of one? Basically I want to change the default setting format on currency in the mac excel toolbar - how do I do it?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
As far as I can tell, Excel uses the International Preference Pane in System Preferences to set the value/currency.

First, quit Excel.

To change your default, go to your Apple Menu and choose International. In here click on Formats and choose Euro or whatever the currency choice you want from the Currency menu.

Close International and then launch Excel. Your default should now be the currenct you chose.

I hope this answers your question about the default.

_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!