Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

We need to recover administrator name and password on a Ma

Customer Question

We need to recover administrator name and password XXXXX a MacBook
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

If you boot from the installer disk and go to the menu bar after choosing a language, then choose Reset Password.

In here, you will be given then usernames on the Mac OS disk that you can change the password XXXXX

Click on each one and give them new passwords. Write down the usernames and new passwords. Then quit, quit again and the Mac will restart. When it starts back up, try each username and new password XXXXX you find the one you want.

Do not modify or give ROOT a new password. Leave it be.

Hope this helps,
_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when doing so we get an error msg saying that OS X can not be installed on this computer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
we DO NOT have original disks for THIS computer and are using the installer disks from my MacBook Pro (which you helped me with before and the evil anti-virus program)
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Does the Mac boot from these disks?

If so, then go ahead and follow those directions above. If not, you will need either the original installer disk one, OR a copy of a Retail Installer of OS X.