The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.

We went from an HP laptop (which is no longer functional) to

We went from an HP laptop (which is no longer functional) to an iMAC. We use Yahoo for our internet carrier. When attempting to set up the mac, I was asked to enter the network I wanted to use and user name and password, I could not remember my old password XXXXX I had not used the pc in a long time. I cannot access the internet with my mac. What should I do to be able to enter a new user name and password XXXXX Yahoo?? (Before going to Yahoo we previously had sbcglobal, not sure if that makes a difference.)
This would generally be your sbcglobal username (email) and password. Did you use that email address they gave you? If not, you should call sbc since they will have it on file connected to the serial number of your modem. FYI, yahoo is not actually an internet provider... AT&T (formally sbcglobal) is.