Thomas Z
Thomas Z, Mac Genius
Experience:  15 Years of Personal Experience on Mac, 6 months full time Computer Tech with Mac specialty
14387740

Hi Mac Support! So glad to have found you! I have a G4 tower

Hi Mac Support! So glad to have found you! I have a G4 tower and after a software update that I believe was to iTunes my computer will not boot up. I opened the drive door and inserted the Apple Hardware Test DVD. It came back with the error code in logic board fire/5/10004. I saw in your note to try to reseat the NVRAM card but I'm not sure which one that is. Can you give me further directions, please? Thank you!!!! Sharon
Category: Mac
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Hold down Command - Option - P - R when you boot the machine. It will cause the machine to chime and restart. It will reset your NVRAM and PRAM.

Do you have a third-party firewire pci card?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Thomas!
I think I do. I had a problem with my firewire ports and so I had Smalldog install a firewire card that will accept 800 firewire.
Is this what you are talking about?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thomas.
I held down Command - Option - P - R and restarted the machine. It chimed and the screen was still black. I continued to hold the above keys down. It chimed 2 more times so I let it go. Now the apple has appeared and the spinning wheel just continues to go round and round. Same as before. Have I done everything correctly?
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
What I believe happened:
When you updated your operating system, it must have triggered something that caused your firewire card to conflict with your machine when it boots.

Remove the Firewire card and attempt to start your machine. If it boots correctly, put the card back in a different port and attempt to boot again.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Thomas.
I was able to remove the card from the slot but can't figure out how to remove the ribbon cable connection from the card.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
What does the ribbon cable connect to? The front ports?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Actually, sorry it is not a ribbon but a 4 wire connection 2 black, 1 yellow and 1 red. It says P5 on it and it is bundled with other wires. I can't tell exactly where it is going. It looks like a box located above the fan. Not either of the drives.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
That is used to provide power to the card, it leads to the power supply. You can remove it by pulling firmly at the plug. The cable can be left inside the case. Will the machine boot now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, Thomas. I have been pulling firmly on the plug and I just can't budge it. Can I restart with the case open and just not have the card plugged into the computer?
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
It may have a little clip on it that holds the cable in. But, alas, yes you may restart with the case open. Make sure the card is not touching metal at its pins.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Thomas.
Too bad. It still won't boot.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Can you put the card back in and attempt to boot from the Mac OS X install disc? Hold down C with the disc in the drive when you boot.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll try.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll try. I got the disk to boot up but when it came to choosing a destination volume to install my internal hard drive doesn't show up.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Hmmm this is not good.

Do you hear any audible noises from the hard-drive in question when it is on? Is it spinning up?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, I hear something but it could be the fan.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
If the hard-drive is going bad, it would make clicking sounds. Can your computer see any other drives connected?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. It only sees the Mac OS X install CD.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Keep the install Disc in your drive and hold down option when you boot your machine. Does you drive show up in the Boot Disk menu?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If you are talking about the little icons yes. It has a picture of a drive and it says Macintosh HD under it.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Looks to me like you've got some system files damaged.

Let's boot in safemode, a lot of times this will fix issues such as this:

1. Shut down completely
2. Press the power button
3. Wait for the startup chime
4. Immediately after (not before) the startup chime, press and hold the shift key. Do this until the grey apple loading screen shows up.
5. Wait while safe mode boots up. It will take a lot longer than regular OS X.
6. Log in (press shift-enter instead of enter after putting in your password XXXXX log in without login items.)
7. You are in safe mode

Safe mode will run disk repair, and ignores the cache of kernel extensions
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think the answer is yes but should I take out the install disk before booting in safemode?
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
I would suggest that you take the disc out, yes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Interesting. It shut down about 2 minutes after the gray apple appeared.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Will it boot now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nope. Seems to be doing the same spinning wheel.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Alright boot from the Mac OS X Install disc and after you pick your language go to the Utilities menu at the top of your screen. Select Disk Utility and find Macintosh HD in the left window pane. Select your drive and click on verify disk. If there are errors, click on repair disk. If your disk does not show up at all in Disk Utility you have a failing hard-drive.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I verified and it says the HD needs to be repaired but the repair button is grayed out and only verify is functioning.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OOPS! I opened the HD and clicked on the untitled drive and repair appeared. So I clicked on it and now it says repair completed.

Now what?

By the way, Thank you very much Thomas for all your efforts. I really do appreciate your work.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just to let you know, there is a message in RED that says Invalid sibling link above where it says repair completed.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Restart your mac and pull the install disc out. See if it starts to work again. If it doesn't, you may need to wipe your drive and reinstall. Also, if it doesnt fix your problem, you may have an underlying issue such as bad memory corrupting your data (including your operating system) or a bad hard disk (more likely).

Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Thomas.
I tried to start it using the HD install. That didn't work so then I tried it from the CD install disk and the same problem occurred. The HD does not appear when it says select a destination volume to install the Mac OS X software.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Thomas.

Being curious, I opened the installer log and clicked on Disk Events.

It says there was and error (8) while checking the volume/dev/diskos9. Trying to repair now. Unable to repair the volume/dev/diskOs9, error 2048. _checkAlmostMountedVolumes: Checking for 1 supposedly mounted volumes. Gave up on mount of /dev/diskOs9
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Try this:
Run Terminal from the Installers Utilities.
Type df and look for the drive that has your Mac system mounted---you'll have to unmount this. On my MacBook Pro, it was /dev/disk0s2.
Type umount /dev/disk0s2, replacing disk0s2 with whatever disk your OS lives on.
Type fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk0s2. If you umounted the wrong thing, it will complain that you can't repair a mounted drive. Go back and umount the right thing and repeat this step.

If you succeed, it should fix your problem.

If this doesn't work, you will need to wipe the drive first from the Installer's Disk Utility. You will need to select your HD and then click on the "Erase" tab. Click on Erase... and it should show up in the Install selection.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would love to try that but I don't have Installers Utilities available.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
I am sorry for being vague. When I said Installer's Disk utility I meant the App called Disk Utility located in the Utilities menu when you are booted off of the Mac OS X Install Disc.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Thomas.

This will have to be the last thing I try tonight because it is getting late!

OK, I went to Disk Utility and did not find the option Installers Utility.

When I clicked on the hard drive it says in information that it is not mounted. Format: HFS+

If I erase will I loose all the information on the drive?
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Did you attempt to do the Terminal commands?

Yes Erase will wipe the drive. The only way i know how to fix the mounting issue is to do those Terminal commands.
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
Oh also, again I was vague. Inside the Utilities menu in the Install Disc you will find the Terminal program that i referred to.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Thomas.

We have done al lot of trouble shooting this evening and I appreciate all of your good thinking process!

I am confused about the Utilities menu in the Install Disc. If you are talking about the disc that I put into the computer to install OS X then I do not see this option. All I see is disk utility.

I apologize for being so slow at this! I am learning a lot though!

Again, it is late here and I must get up at 4am. So if you have one last idea then I will try it but this will be the last.
Thank you for all your efforts. Happy New Year to you, Thomas. Peace. Sharon
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you running? Is the disc the same version?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No. I was running leopard. The disk is 10.1.3
Expert:  Thomas Z replied 5 years ago.
You need to get your Leopard disc. The 10.1 disc doesnt have Terminal in the Utilities menu. Boot with your leopard disc and follow my directions from the previous post.
Thomas Z, Mac Genius
Experience: 15 Years of Personal Experience on Mac, 6 months full time Computer Tech with Mac specialty
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Thomas.
Good news! I loaded the leopard OS X install disk and found the terminal utilities. I tried to do as your post suggested. Unfortunately, I didn't have much success. I then decided to try and install and it worked!

Thanks for all your help. Your suggestions were very thoughtful. Happy New Year. If necessary, I'll come back and utilize your services again.

Peace to you.
Sharon