Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience
13058298

We have a Canon ZR 950 with Christmas pictures wed like to

Customer Question

We have a Canon ZR 950 with Christmas pictures we'd like to download to our MacBook laptop. The CD that came with this camera apparently was thrown out accidentally with the Christmas wrapping. Is there a way we can download the software or driver needed so we can upload pictures from the camera to the MacBook?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.

In your applications folder, do you see a program called iMovie?

Let me know and I'll be able to help you more. Thanks! Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, we do have IMovie in our Mac's applications folder.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Shawn,

We have iMovie and iPhoto on the MacBook. Can we use this software instead of the software that apparently came on the CD with the Canon ZR 950? Would there be any damage the camera or pictures or computer, if we were to use the Mac software instead?

Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.

Great! I recommend that you use iMovie for what you're trying to do. It won't cause any damage and is better for editing than the Canon software too.

Just connect your camera to the computer, open iMovie, and you should be ready to import! It is pretty straightforward.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Shawn,

I just want to clarify that we have photos as well as videos on the camera. Can we use iMovie for downloading and editing both the photos and the videos we've taken?

Thank you,
Barbara
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.
Hello Barbara,

Yes, you can. Your camera uses a MiniDV tape, which like a VHS tape, requires playing to download it to a computer. This is a read-only connection, meaning that the computer reads off of the camcorder. iMovie is designed to do exactly this and read playing video off of MiniDV camcorders like yours.

If you want to be extra-sure that things are going to work properly, you can always record some video and take pictures on a new tape and then use that as a test. Once you're comfortable with the interface, then you can import the tape(s) that you really want.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. Happy New Year!

Shawn