Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  I have worked with Macs going back to the IIE. Installation, diagnostics, repair of all variations.
12940042

I have a 2000 G4 that I want to junk, but I want to take out

I have a 2000 G4 that I want to junk, but I want to take out the hard drive for data transfer to new backup. How do I remove it and then re-connect the old hard drive to a new Macbook via firewire?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dan - Master Tech replied 5 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer could you list the serial number of your G4?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sure. It's XB0231M6HSG
The G4 model you have is very easy to open and remove the hard drive.
  1. First, make sure the power cord is unplugged from the G4 and it is standing upright.
  2. Facing the front of the computer, on the right side of the case, in the middle toward the top, is a release to open the side of the G4. Use your fingers to grab and pull it to lower the side of the computer.
  3. Upon opening, you will see the hard drive mounted at the bottom of the case toward the back. Attached to it will be two sets of wires, one is the four-wire modular power plug with red, yellow and black wires, the other will be a flat ribbon cable attached to a wide connector that is the ATA-66 wire. Use care to pull the connectors out of the drive, they may be a bit tight so some time may be needed to work them loose.
  4. After removing the cables there is one philips head screw that holds the drive to the bottom of the case that is under the ATA cable connector just removed.
  5. Lift the drive out of the case and set aside.
Let me know of your progress and I will post how to connect it to your Macbook.
Experience: I have worked with Macs going back to the IIE. Installation, diagnostics, repair of all variations.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There are 3 IBM TYPE DRHS COMP IEC-950 DRIVES at the bottom of the case. I guess I should disconnect them all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's gritty in there. Hasn't been opened or serviced in 8 years. Should I pull out the RAM too?
You can pull the RAM if it is of any use to you certainly. As to the drives, I will have to look them up to make sure they aren't SCSI.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't need the RAM. I'll just throw them out. I'll await your answer on the drives. Thank you. This is my first experience with justanswer. It' a great model.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok. Will await your next answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pls remember how to let me know how to connect the drives to my Leopard OSX Macbook. Thanks.
Yes, however, you do not have to click the Accept button each time to see an answer. You have already paid and I appreciate it. Was there any other information on the drives before I look them up?
OK, I have the information on the drives. The connection to the Macbook has just gotten more complicated. While most of the G4 computers shipped with ATA drives, there are those that came equipped with SCSI drives, yours falls in the latter category. I was afraid that was the case when I saw the information you posted. While a number of options exist to mount the drives in an external case, the problem exists in how the drives were configured in the G4. Since there were three drives, they may have been configured to work together as an array so the computer saw more than one drive as a single drive. One possible setup may have been to operate the main drive as a single and the remaining two as an array.
Can you confirm the type of SCSI connector on the drive by using this link?
SCSI connectors
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So what do I do? How can I find out how they were configured? The system is functional so I can check somewhere. If it's too complicated though, I may just dump the whole machine.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I haven't disconnected or removed the drives yet. I was awaiting your final answers.
The system is functional? Will it boot? What OS?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dan,

Been tryng but can't seem to get the system booted up. Haven't tried in a year, so I think it's time to play taps. I'm going to remove the drives anyway per your instructions and maybe at some point come back to you if I ever need to try to connect them to a new OS and see what's on them. Thanks for your help. I'll definitely come back to use the service again at some point.

Sincerely,
Todd
If at all possible, getting the G4 to boot will make recovering any files many, many times easier. The fact that SCSI was not a widely accepted standard makes it that much more important. If you can put off dissecting the G4 and see if it will boot off a CD drive OS disc, it could make things much simpler down the road. Another option would be to install an ATA drive and install an OS on it to boot from. In that way you could transfer the SCSI data onto the ATA drive and it would be much simpler to transfer to the Macbook then.
Here is a manual link that covers the G4.
Powermac G4 AGP
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dan,

Ok. I'll make the attempt. If not I'll go the other route. I understand Standards well. I was on the VICS INTERNET COMMERCE COMMITTEE that helped write the Standards report for VICS members. I was more a business process expert than a technical expert. This is the big issue with non-standard or semi-standard technology. Even .jpg and .gif are not truly open-standards. They're "owned" by an entity although they've been donated on a de-facto basis and we use them daily. Look up the VICS INTERNET COMMERCE standards, first release, and I'm the only Todd mentioned. Thanks again for your help.
Thanks, I'll do that.