The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.

I got a ibook, mac OSX version 10.2.8 Memory, 256 MB 900 MHZ

I got a ibook, mac OSX version 10.2.8 Memory, 256 MB 900 MHZ Power PC G3, it is not hooked up to the internet, is it possible to have a wireless hook up? And how would I do it?
Some iBooks have built in airport cards, but if it doesn't you can purchase and add one. To find out if yours has one built in, go to the apple menu and select system profiler. From there you should see a section on the left called airport. Click on it and see what it says.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It says system profiler is not available
Is it a g3 or a g4? Check the applications folder and the utilities folder for the system profiler. In later os versions you could click on the apple menu, and about this mac and then more info to get there, but I font think that option is available on 10.2.
I'm surprised that you would give me neutral feedback before we were finished. Of course I would give more detail. There's more to discuss. We're still trying to determine whether or not you have an airport card. There's more to do. You shouldn't accept an answer until you are fully satisfied.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry, I did not realize that is how this works.
I didn't know it was a process.
It is a 10.2 version by the way.
No worries. Is it a G3 or a G4? You can tell by clicking on the apple menu and selecting about this mac.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is a Power PC G 3
Go into your applications folder, and from there into your utilities folder and open system profiler. Check under the airport tab and see if it says anything or if it says airport is not found or unavailable.

You can purchase and install an airport card for this model, but they are a little hard to find. I know a couple stores that keep stock in them, so if the system profiler tells us we don't have one, I will forward you some websites where you can purchase one, and simple instructions for installing it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX is telling me that "Airport hardware is not found on this computer" and an airport card must be installed. So, if you could suggest where to get one that would be great. Thank you
Here is a link to the best price I've seen for these out of production cards in quite some time.

To install it, there are two small plastic tabs on the top of either side of your keyboard. Pull them down , and tilt the keyboard towards you. Do not pull it up or pull it hard, because it will be connected via a cable to the motherboard. Rest it upside down on the trackpad. You should see a small metal bracket. If you squeeze it you should be able to open it up. You will also see a small cord that is not attached to anything. That is the antenna, and will get plugged into the top of the airport card. Slide the airport card in under the bracket, plug the antenna in, and close the bracket over it (by gently squeezing the sides) and then slide the keyboard back in and lock it with the tabs.

One final note: sometimes, when you unlatch the two tabs it will still stick in the middle. There is a tiny screwdriver slot there that is sometimes locked. You will need to turn it about a half turn counter-clockwise to open (and/or close it).

I hope that you see now that this site really is a process and should be carried out to the end before feedback is left. My feedback rating is very important to me as the #2 ranked Mac expert on this site.

All the best, XXXXX XXXXX a happy New Year-

The MacWhisperer
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The feedback I received was excellent. The MacWhisperer is very thorough and helped me greatly.
Glad I could help!