Thomas Z
Thomas Z, Mac Genius
Experience:  15 Years of Personal Experience on Mac, 6 months full time Computer Tech with Mac specialty
14387740

why cant I get a secure connection

why can't I get a secure connection?
Hello!

Is your system date correct? If not, correct it and try again.

This may also be your fix for Firefox:
  1. In the address bar, type about:config > click ‘Enter’.

2. You’ll get a warning message, This might void your warranty!, click I’ll be careful, I promise!

3. Double-click browser.ssl_override_behavior and change the value from ‘1’ to ‘2’.

4. Restart Firefox.

Instead of disabling the notice all together, you can have a warning displayed – without having to add an exception.

• browser.xul.error_pages.expert_bad_cert = true
I hope this fixes your problem. Good luck, Thomas.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I don't use firefox hardly at all, so this doesn't do much for me.

The main problem is that I simply cannot log into any site that has a login and I don't know why. It has always worked before for me.

I use OmniWeb as my main browser. If I try to go to a secure site, like PayPal, I get this error:
"Cannot Load Address
secure connection failed"

If I try to log into gmail from Safari, I get this message:
Safari can’t open the page.
Safari can’t open the page “https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?continue=http://www.google.com/ig&followup=http://www.google.com/ig&service=ig&passive=true&cd=US&hl=en&nui=1<mpl=default” because it couldn’t establish a secure connection to the server “www.google.com”.

I use an application called MailPlane to access multiple gmail accounts. When trying to log in I get the message: "secure connection failure"

I have tried to log into my hosting accounts through an FTP program called Transmit. I simply get the message that I cannot log into the server.

Please, are there any other suggestions? Is this a system problem? I also have gmail widgets in the dashboard and they also cannot connect. The system clock time is correct.

HELP!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Just to further clarify... the messages I get are NOT popup alert boxes, but are messages within the browser and the pages simply will not load at all.

Please advise!

Thanks!

Alright, I would like you to create a new account.

System Preferences -> Accounts

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8235.html

Log into that account and see if you still have the problem with this user.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. It seems I might have a bigger problem going on.

I went into System Preferences to add an account, but when I click on the lock to make changes, the lock will not UNlock, so I cannot add an account.

In addition, when I open my Keychain access, there are NO keys/passwords showing.

It seems I may need to reinstall my system? Or do you have another suggestion?

By the way, I am willing to pay more for your help through this!!!

Thanks!
Tami

While in keychain access, click on the Keychain Access -> Keychain First Aid, after you enter your username and password, Make sure Verify is selected and click Start.

If there are problems (which I imagine there will be) select the Repair radio button and click Start.

This should repair your keychain so that certificates (and thus SSL connections) can be saved.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
OK, the keychain trick worked! Thanks!

Still have some other issues, so I may be back with more questions!

I am glad I could help! Take care :-D