Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting

I have tried to remove old administrator password XXXXX success.

Customer Question

I have tried to remove old administrator password XXXXX success. I used my cd Mac os 10 and was able to go to utilites and then ask to change or reset password. I reset password, when I restart my mac and try to uninstall some software the box appears asking for my user name and password XXXXX i put in the new password XXXXX user name and it does not accept the new password XXXXX user name. what am I doing wrong?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

The reset password XXXXX is for the login password XXXXX that user. If you have more than one user, and the one you changed was NOT an administrator, it will still ask for the administrators password.

Also, you say the external drive. You cannot change a password XXXXX an external drive, only the users listed in the current install of OS X. If the external drive is connected, then it should be ignoring permissions and you should not have to enter a password XXXXX delete anything.

I would boot from the CD again and this time, make sure to change the password XXXXX the User you are currently booting up as when you try to delete the app. If you have more than one, choose the admin from the pop-up menu and change that password.

Never change or edit Root user. This can cause problems if not done correctly.

Hope this helps,
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Apparently i did not state my problem or question correctly.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
What then is the question so I can help you further?
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

Saw your other question with more details in it. Someone closed it so I could not respond.

You are trying to change the password XXXXX the external hard drive and unless you BOOT from that drive, which I do not see you are doing, then it will not know that the password XXXXX XXXXX It is asking for your iMac password. Try that one instead of the one for the G4 Drive.

While that drive is connected via USB, there are no owners. Therefore uninstalling cannot be done the way you are hoping because Adobe will be looking in the iMac for the support files, etc... and they are not there. Adobe looks in the usual places and will not look any further if certain files are not present on the Boot disk, the iMac.

What you have to do is boot that Hard Drive back on the G4, (I know you said it died) insert the Adobe Installer on that machine and then un-install the software. I am pretty sure it will not work the way you are trying to do it. Otherwise you may have to call Adobe and have them release the key so you can install it again on your new machine.

The password XXXXX changed is now the password XXXXX the iMac, so that is now your new password XXXXX that account.

That is what I see from your details. Correct me if I am wrong.