Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I have an1.25 Ghz Power Book G4. I have problems with the curser

Customer Question

I have an1.25 Ghz Power Book G4. I have problems with the curser freezing when using and track pad - it will work with a mouse. I've zapped the PRAM and that worked at first but problem returns. I ran the disk utility and it found and fixed some problems that I guess I didn't know about but curser problem remains. Problem started after I installed a cannon scanner and updated skpe t0 2.7.0330. I discussed problems with my IT guy and we thought it might be a RAM issue - I had 512. So I updated to 2GB using 2 , Samsung 1GB PC 2700 333 MHz DDR SO-DIMM which seems to be the recommended chips. It didn't solve the problem. Any suggestions ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

Does your trackpad appear to be worn? Does it show lighter areas of grey?

What version of OS X?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for getting back to me.

Track pad does not appear to be worn. And when it works, it works fine.

I have System 10.4.11
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
OK.

I would like to try something to see if we can isolate this.

Restart your Mac and hold down the Shift key. Keep it down until the Mac starts booting up.

Then, when it gets to the login, it should say Safe Mode.

Login and see if the Trackpad is working OK.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry it's taken a while to get back. Your reply came just as I was leaving for work. I just held down the shift key during a start. Took about 10 minutes of churning for system to load. It just asked me to log in. Did not say safe mode. Curser still frozen with track pad. Also could not get on line and could not locate disk utility . I restarted and did another disk utility run which worked and found no problems and I could get on line ( I have a wireless router) but curser is still not working with track pad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I tried our suggestion and held down the shift during restart. It took about 10 minutes for load up and it said log in but not safe mode. I logged on and curser still would not work with track pad. Also, I could not get online through wireless router and could not locate disk utility. I restarted and everything worked except still problem with curser with track pad.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
You may not have noticed the tiny type saying Safe Mode above the log in box.

Anyway, it was in Safe Mode, because the 10 minutes or so sounds just about right and Safe Mode does not load some stuff so Networking might be one of them.

I am beginning to think the TrackPad may be defective. It has happened.

Another test would be go to the System Preferences and create a new account. Make it an admin, give it a password XXXXX then log out and log in as the new user. Does the trackpad still fail?

If so, I would suspect the hardware before anything else.

Let me know how you make out.
_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike,

I opened a new account and the curser stayed frozen. Then I restarted and it reverted to me account. Strangely, the curser is now working. Don't know what will happen next time I turn it on but it does not sound like a hardware problem to me. It all seemed to start when I loaded the latest version of Skype 2.7.0330. and the Cannon Scanner ( 4400f Cannon scan). I should also mention that the scanner worked the first time on slides and the next time it said slides were cropped and didn't scan. I ended up reloaded the disk progams and in the restart the computer just churned for more than 45 minutes. I ended up shutting it down and reattached the scanner during start up and it worked again.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
I don't know about that. In a new user, only the basic settings for an application are present. That means that the new user has not setup the scanner or used it and skype isn't set up either.

So they may not be able to interfere. I thinlk you may have an intermittent cable connection or a bad trackpad that comes and goes.

I do not know of anything else to try except a clean Archive and Install of OS X and see if it fixes this. Archive and Install will keep all your files but lose some settings. Apps are kept as well.

Let me know, I can always opt-out and let another Expert give this a shot.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mike,

How would I go about doing "a clean Archive and Install of OS X and see if it fixes this"

Does that mean actually reinstall the operation system.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Yes. You would boot from your Install Disk and run the installer like a new install. But when you get to your disk choice screen you will not be able to choose it.

Instead click on the Options button below the disk icon and then choose Archive and Install in the next window.

Cloes that window and proceed as normal through the installer. When you are doen, it replaces only the system files and takes the old files and places them in a Previous System Folder folder.

You will retain all your apps, files, most settings and it boots back up pretty much the same, just with a new system.

All you have to do then is keep running Software update until it says your software is up to date.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your help. I don't have the install disk at home. I think now that I have the two gigs of RAM I'll try updating with Leapord and follow your advise.
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.
Oh yeah, that will do it too.

Good call.

Let me know how it works out.