Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

When I turn on the Powerbook G4, the OS loads normally but

When I turn on the Powerbook G4, the OS loads normally but the screen is split and the graphics are fuzzy. It did this before I got the laptop, but after a while it worked again. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 5 years ago.

PowerBook G4's, especially Titanium models, have some issues with the cables running through the hinge area to the screen. This causes some artifacts and lines to appear, but nothing like what you are describing.

It really sounds like you have a failing graphics chip on the logic board. However, we can try to reset the logic board and see if it helps.

Do this:

First, shut down and remove the battery and power adaptor from the Mac (you did this I hope when you opened it up)

Then press the power button a nd wait for about 10 seconds. replace the power cord only and boot up.

Immediately hole down the following four keys:
option
command (apple key)
P
R

Keep these four keys down until Mac reboots (hear the chime) 3 times, then let them up.
Let it boot up normally. See if the problem is still present.

If it is, then try this reset:
Turn off the Mac

Find and hold down the following 4 keys:
OPTION
COMMAND
O
F
The command key is the Cloverleaf/Apple key.

Release the keys when you see the text screen

Type the following exactly, press return after each command:

reset-nvram (press return)
reset-all (press return)

The Mac will restart on its own.

Let me know if this helps at all.

_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting