YMac
YMac, IT Specialist
Experience:  I have been using Macs for 20 years and have 10 years experience in IT.

I made a logo in photoshop CS3. It is on a transparent background

I made a logo in photoshop CS3. It is on a transparent background. I want to keep the transparent background and get it into Word and also send it to the client to put on his web site. How to do it?
Category: Mac
Expert:  YMac replied 5 years ago.
Go to File>Save For Web & Devices and when dialog appears in drop down menu where it says JPEG you choose PNG-24 and click Save. That will preserve transparency in your document.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I saved it as a png24 as you said and dragged/dropped it into Word on a colored square.
It is transparent as you said it would be(thanks!) but there is a white border around the letters of the logo and around all theother graphic elements of the logo.
How do I get rid of the white border?
Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Also, when I did the png save, I got an error message saying that the size of the logo was too large and I would lose....
So I made it smaller , 5" x 2.5" (reduced from 12" x 5") and I got the same error message
Expert:  YMac replied 5 years ago.
When you create the logo, first create it over a background that is exactly the same color as the background you want to lay it on in your word document. After you do that, then change the background to transparent and save it as described in the previous post. That should resolve the issue.
Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know what color the background will be. I saved it on a transparent background. Then I created another transparent layer with nothing on it and merged down with the logo. I found that info on the web.
But thewhite is still there.
Is it possible for me to send you the logo to look at?
Expert:  YMac replied 5 years ago.
You can create a free account at box.net, upload the file and then post a link to the file here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
http://www.box.net/shared/exalq98myi

As per your suggestion, I have uploaded 2 files: one is a gif and one is a png.

When I sent it to my client, it was completely different that what I had on my computer.

When I put the gif file into a colored box in Word, it was transparent, but there were white lines around the letters.
Expert:  YMac replied 5 years ago.
I don't know what your client is doing but I used the file you uploaded
"transparent-128-dithered.gif" in word and changed the page background to 20 different colors and it looks perfect on every one of them.

I can send you some screenshots if you want.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help- I think we have beat this horse to death!

I found something in my files about using clipping paths in Photoshop to create transparency thst can then be embedded in word processing apps.

I am trying to do that now.
What do you think abt. that?
Expert:  YMac replied 5 years ago.
Clipping path is used when you want to remove the "real background" from an image. This doesn't really apply for what you're trying to achieve.
The file you have right now as mentioned in the previous post is up to standard and has the transparency needed to be embedded in any word app. I even tried in word on a PC and it works.

At this point the problem seems to be in the way your client is handling the file and unless we get more information from them on what they are doing it's not possible to troubleshoot the error further.

YMac, IT Specialist
Experience: I have been using Macs for 20 years and have 10 years experience in IT.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help!