Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Ive just purchased a new IMAC 2.66 gHZ 2GB/320/SD/2600/Pro.

I've just purchased a new IMAC 2.66 gHZ 2GB/320/SD/2600/Pro. Before even starting up my new machine I would like advice on the best way to upload the user profiles from my old IMAC. I have everything backed up on an external drive.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.

There are 2 ways you can do this.

When you start your new Mac, as you set it up, the OS will give you an option to get data from a few different sources. One will be Target Disk Mode.

With this method, you connect your Old Mac to a the new Mac and let the Migration Assistant move your User Folder over for you. Most settings, all files and apps will be moved over.

This requires a FireWire cable between the 2 Macs. So, your old Mac needs to have FireWire on it and be running a version of OS X.

The other way is to simply copy the files over by hand from your External Back Up.
The FInder will set the Permissions properly as it copies the files over. Most apps can be installed this way and all your files will be available as well. You will still need to setup your network access for Internet, etc, and printers, and some other things.

Which way you choose will determine how much extra you will have to do to finish the new Mac to your liking.

Hope this helps,
_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!