The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.

First Question We have suspected that my Uncles Mac has been

First Question: We have suspected that my Uncle's Mac has been compromised, Can someone setup a back door passsword to access the computer from remote location? If so how can I remove that access?
Theoretically it's possible, but on a Mac it's HIGHLY unlikely.

What makes you believe his computer has been compromised?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That the computer had unnecessary programs on it and also had a alias on account adminstrator, but when we removed the programs they magically reappeared later.. And all my uncle does on that computer is play soltaire and it does have internet connection in which he occasionally uses. Another thing is when you go to finder it takes us to a website that we have no clue why it does it. Also when trying to find information for trying to change the password XXXXX takes us to a website to authenicate the password XXXXX it never done this before. How do I find the section to check to see if remote access is enabled? And if so is there a way to delete any info for that user?
I don't worry about unnecessary programs... all computers have those.

The other stuff I'm not 100% clear on, but here's the botXXXXX XXXXXne... go to system preferences and sharing, and confirm that sharing is turned off.

After that, if you are really concerned that someone is IN the computer, go to and download and install Little Snitch. It will report any questionable internet activity, and it will give you the opportunity to block unwanted activity at will. SO, if someone has gained access (which I still find fairly unlikely), this will alert you to it, and allow you to protect your uncle's machine.
I hear what you're saying, and it is possible, but this will stop that from happening.

Your other option is a full reinstall of the machine, but it seems to me that based on your statements that is overkill at this point. If you find a seriously questionable activity through little snitch let me know and I can walk you through a reinstall.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you