Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

I have a Pinnacle TV HD stick for Mac powered by eye TV lite

Customer Question

I have a Pinnacle TV HD stick for Mac powered by eye TV lite which was purchased 9/04/07. It worked previously but now, when I open the applicatiion, it does not activate for 3 - 4 minutes. We connect to the internet using a wall jack and cable T.V. I took my computer and the stick to the Apple store and to Micro Center. They think the problem is in the software. I'm getting frustrated. What is your advice?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

The first step in a case like this would be to remove and and then reload your software.

So could you browse to your applications folder and find the Pinnacle appliation folder and move it to the trash and then empty the trash.

Once you have done that could you shut down the machine and then restart it, As soon as you have let go of the power button could you press and hold down the SHIFT key till the load icon appears under he apple icon then let go and wait up to 20 mins for the machine to safe boot.

As soon as it safe boots could you then restart your machine like normal and then download and install teh latest version of the software for your stick from here http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Support/Consumer+Support/?viewDownload=1

Let me know if you have any issues or need more info.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I believe that the tech at Micro Center tried to download the latest software already. I will retry, but I am not sure how to find the number of my HD stick. I have all the information that came with the product and the box. It does say "USB 2.0 Tuner Stick" on the box, but I think the tech man didn't think that was the stick version number. He seemed to think it was 1.2 or 1.something. We can't find on the website any information relative to downloading HD stick software.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Is this the unit you have?

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/PCTV+Tuners/PCTV+Digital+PVR+%28DVB-S_DVB-T%29/Mac+HD+mini+Stick

If not let me know what it says on the label on the stick.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Close but I don't think it's the same . Could be an ealier model. No label on the back. The install disk contains the following info: Pinnacle TV for Mac - 41007350. The book contains the following info:
sku XXXXXXXXXX The product is described as a USB 2.0 TV Tuner Stick
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

In that case just reinstall the software from the disk so we can test it then we can update from the Apple menu later.

Let me know how it responds after you install then restart and try it.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is not solving the problem, in fact it is worse. Now we are getting a message telling us that eyeTV 1.1 is available and we are getting a strange menu and we can't turn on eye TV.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Go ahead and let the update run then reboot and relaunch the program and see if it offers you other updates.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It appears that there is some improvement in eye TV. Thank you. I just reread the information which came with the software which directed me to this website. It says there is "free" online support. In view of this, I am wondering why I am being asked to pay for this service.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Dont worry about it,

You do not need to hit accept when we finish and I honestly do not mind at all.

Have you performed all of the updates for your TV stick?

If you think you have then coul you click the Apple icon and click check for updates to make sure you have everything up to date then restart and check again,Once you have all available updates shut down your machine then wait 5 seconds.

Power up the machine and as soon as yo ullet go of the power button press and hold the SHIFT key till you see the load icon appear under the Apple logo then let go and wait up to 30mins for your Apple to safe boot, Once it safe boots restart the machine like normal and then try your tv application again.

Let me know what happen.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We are still having the problem with the stick. It seemed faster last night, but this am was back to its old ways. It indicates the 1.1 software is current. About the fee. I want to make sure that you get paid by me or by Pinnacle. They claim that help is free at pinnaclesys.com/support. I had trouble finding the appropriate area on that site and I think I wrote in a question. Maybe they don't really have free support or maybe I got into Google by mistake and it's my fault. Anyway, you need to be paid and, if they are making false claims, that is an issue I will deal with. Do you have any further suggestions about eye tv.

Still frustrated in Mpls2.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

One other suggestion would be to perform a Safe Boot which usually performs a lot of background optimization steps across the whole machine,To do that shut down your machine and wait a few seconds then turn it back on, As soon as you let go of the power button press and hold the SHIFT key down till you see the load icon appear under the Apple logo then let go and wait up to 30mins for the machine to Safe Boot.

As soon as it Safe Boots just restart like normal and let us know if it runs any better when it comes back up.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We appreciate all your help. We returned the HD stick to the Micro Center (where we bought it) and they were nice enough to exchange it for another, newer model. We had tried the safe-boot idea and the slow response continued.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Sorry I could not help you get this issue resolved.

Thanks for using Just Answer and hopefully we can help in the future.

Thanks