The MacWhisperer
The MacWhisperer, Professional Mac Guru
Experience:  25+ years on the Mac, 6+ years as a Mac Guru running a computer consultant company.

I just booted my macbook and a folder with a question mark

Customer Question

I just booted my macbook and a folder with a question mark is flashing on the screen. Last used Tuesday morning at a hotel with wifi. All was fine then. What to do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  The MacWhisperer replied 7 years ago.
It's most likely a damaged hard drive, but you might be lucky and just have a corrupted system folder. DO you have the install DVDs for this machine or another Mac available so we can test the drive?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I have the install dvds. And yes, I have another mac available.
Lets use the other mac. Restart the damaged one and hold the T button while it starts. You should get a firewire symbol on your screen. Plug in a firewire cable between the two macs, and if your hard drive shows on the desktop of the other mac it's an operating system issue and you will need to restart. If not, it's a hard drive issue, and you will need to replace the drive.

Is it a MacBook or a MacBook Pro?