Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience

My computer seems to have slowed down. How can I speed it

Customer Question

My computer seems to have slowed down. How can I speed it up without addidng more memory?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Shawn replied 7 years ago.

There are a couple of easy things you can do that will hopefully speed it up:

1) Repair the hard drive by booting into safe mode, and then rebooting normally. Instructions:

2) Repair permissions by following the instructions at:

You can also make sure that you have at least 2 GB of free space on the hard drive. This provides breathing room for the operating system to create temporary files.

A deeper - and much more time consuming - fix is to reinstall the operating system. You can do this in a way that maintains your files and settings by using ARCHIVE AND INSTALL mode. You'll still want to back up your important files beforehand, just in case. Here's how to do an archive and install:

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. Kind regards,