Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft

I am trying to connect a Yamaha MM8 keyboard to my MacBook

I am trying to connect a Yamaha MM8 keyboard to my MacBook Pro computer using a USB cable so that the program FINALE will detect the keyboard, enabling me to use it to input notation. How do I get my computer to detect the keyboard?

To install your Yamaha keyboard on your mac you will need to use a USB to Midi driver so your mac can understand the signals coming from the keyboard.

If you follow this link and scroll down to your OS version you can download the latest build Yamaha USB to Midi driver once you have it installed connect your Keyboard and it should be available as a Midi device in your software.

Let us know if you need more info.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hey! Thank you so much for the reply.

Finale now detects the keyboard- but when I go to input notes, it still doesn't work. Any insight on that?

Glad to hear Finale now sees the hardware.

In Finale we need to make sure that your Yamaha is selected as the Midi input device by opening Finale then going to the MIDI Menu.

Choose MIDI Setup and under input device select your Yamaha keyboard.

Once you have done that let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANK you. Your answer led me to it-

I went to Midi/Audio menu - Device Setup - Midi/Internal Speaker Setup. I changed the first channel to my keyboard and it's working beautifully. Thank you so much!