Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

I cant get iphoto to work after a hard drive problem . Will

Customer Question

I can't get iphoto to work after a hard drive problem . Will not access the iphoto library. I checked and they are there. Message is "library was created by an earlier version" .    I put them on with an old ilife cd I had (04). I have been trying to update with downloads but I can't copy to hd. Get the message "an eligible iphoto app was not found in the location applications/iphoto.app". I don't have the .app part. What's going on? How can I download the most current iphoto to my hd?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Can you tell us what version of OSX you are running?

Did you reinstall all of iLife using yur 04 disk or just the iPhoto application?

Let us know

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
running osx version 10.4.11.

reinstalled complete ilife 04. didn't know I had the option to just install iphoto.

initially iphoto and itunes both didn't work. I updated from 10.4.6 to 10.4.11 and o4 ilife itunes started working fine. iphoto did not. i tried updating iphoto and it won't do it as i explained. the complete message is "you cannot install update 6.0.5 on this volume. an eligible iphoto application not found this location Applications/iphoto.app"
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Can you confirm for me that you have the iLife 04 disk so we can remove and reinstall iPhoto.

Let me know so I can give you the steps involved as we need to trash some supplimental files to get a clean uninstall and reinstall.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have Ilife 04 with itunes 4.5, iphoto 4.0.1 and imovie 4.0.1 on it. It is the CD disc I installed before.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Coul dyou move the iPhoto folder to the trash then open yur Mac HDD and browse to /Pictures/and trsh the iPhoto Library folder then go to /Library/Preferences and trash the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file.

Once youhave done that empty the trash a then restart your mac.

Let me know once you have done that.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
IF I DO THAT I WILL LOSE THOUSANDS OF PHOTOS. MY ONLY BACKUP IS THE OLD DAMAGED HD I HAD REPLACED. WE HAD CONSIDERABLE DIFFICULTY COPYING OVER THE IPHOTO PICTURES FROM THAT.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Before you do anything can you drag the iPhoto library from your Pictures folder and drop it to your desktop so that your pictures are safe then follow the instructions I gave you.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
WON'T I LOSE ALL MY PICTURES THAT WAY. MY ONLY BACKUP IS THE OLD DAMAGED HD I HAD REPLACED. IS THE IPHOTO LIBRARY UNDER USERS MY BACKUP?

I CAN'T FIND COM.APPLE.IPHOTO.PLIST UNDER LIBRARY/PREFERENCES!!
THANKS
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

All of your iPhoto pictures will be stored in the iPhoto library in your Pictures folder, So by moving it to the desktop you will be moving them to a safe place so you can remove and reinstall iPhoto and get it updated so we can rebuild your libraries.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I TRASHED IPHOTO APPLICATION. MOVED PICTURES/IPHOTO/LIBRARY TO DESKTOP. I COULD NOT TRASH COM.APPLE.IPHOTO.PLIST UNDER LIBRARY/PREFERENCES BECAUSE IT WASN'T THERE. I AM NOW RESTARTING.

THANKS
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Once it is restarted could you put the iLife disk in the machine then download and install Pacifist from here http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12743

Once installed in your Utility folder you should have Software Restore, Just launch it and follow the directions and select whatever software you want to restore, in your case iPhoto.

Once installed launch iPhoto and make sure it opens correctly then close t and update it all the way before we restore you photos.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Could not find software restore after installing pacifist.. Installed metafiles from pacifist instead. Srewed up??

Opened Iphoto and it couldn't find library. I closed it and I put it in pictures and Iphoto could not come up with any pictures the same as before.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Have you guys given up on me. I still have the same unsolved problem.

I am waiting for an answer.

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

When you say you put pictures in iPhoto, did you open the program first and did it open?

If so did you try to update it first before attempting to put photos into your library?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I OPENED IPHOTO BEFORE I PUT DESKTOP.IPHOTO LIBRARY ON HD/PICTURE. IT OPENED BUT GOT MESSAGE"CAN'T FIND LIBRARY". TRIED TO UPDATE APP/IPHOTO BUT GOT SAME MESSAGE ABOUT NOT FINDING ELIGIBLE FILE. PUT DESKTP/IPHOTO LIBRARY INTO HD/PICTURES. IPHOTO FINDS SOME PICTURE FILE WITH NOTHING IN IT.

THANKS

Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Can you go through the steps again to remove, reboot, reinstall and reboot to get a fresh copy of iphoto on your machine, Once you have done that let me know so we can construct a new empty library then update and import your photos from the other library.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have completed your requested tasks

LH
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Could you now open Iphoto and when it prompts choose Create new library.

Let it make a blank library then close iphoto and check for updates from the Apple menu, Let the updates install then restart and check again, repeat this till everything is up to date and there is nothing else to get.

Once you have done that hold Option and click iPhoto

It should prompt you to choose a library, select your old one, the entire folder labeled iPhoto Library on your desktop (If it was made in an older iPhoto, it will ask you to upgrade the library so let it run)

Once it has upgraded let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
IM GETTING MESSAGE I MUST UPGRAS IPHOTO OR NEXT VERSION WON'T BE ABLE TO READ LIBRARY. WHAT DO I DO UPGRADE OR QUIT?
Expert:  Claws224 replied 5 years ago.

Ok,

Just click on upgrade, then let it run and check for updates again after you reboot.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
BY THE TIME I GOT THIS I HAD DECIDED TO QUIT AND NOT UPGRADE. AFTER I GOT THIS I THOUGHT I COULD JUST BACK UP AND GO THROUGH THE WHOLE ROUTINE AGAIN. I TRIED IT SEVERAL TIMES AND COULDN'T GET THE SAME MESSAGE. INITIALLY DURING THE SOFTWARE UPGRADE PART I WAS GETTING AN IPHOTO UPGRADE. I AM NOT GETTING A IPHOTO SOFTWARE UPDATE NOW. I HAVE VERSION 4.0.1 INSTALLED AND I THOUGHT THE UPGRADE WAS TO 4.0.3. ABOUT READY TO GIVE UP.

PS I DO HAVE PACIFIER INSTALLED AND FOUND AUTOMATER WHICH LOOKED LIKE IT WAS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED. TRIED IT AND GOT AN ERROR MESSAGE WITH NO DIAGNOSTIC. ALSO IN MY ATTEMPTS TO GET DESKTOP/IPHOT LIBRARY ON PICTURES I CREATED A PHOTO LIBRARY WHICH I CAN'T TRASH.