Shawn
Shawn, Computer Engineer
Experience:  15 years of Mac software and hardware troubleshooting experience, 10 years of programming experience
13058298

Im trying to host Frozen Throne games (warcraft type game)

Customer Question

I'm trying to host Frozen Throne games (warcraft type game) and I can't.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.
Hello Scott,

Can you give me the make and model of your router?

Thanks,

Shawn
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
2wire
2701HG-B
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.
Hi Scott,

Great, thank you for the additional information!

The problem you're running into is because your router has a firewall built in. The purpose of this firewall is to protect your computer from the negative side of the Internet. A side effect of this is that it won't let you play some games by default, as you've discovered.

The solution to this is to open port 6112 in the router and forward it to your computer. Here are detailed instructions from 2wire on how to do this on your router:

http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=21

Once you do this, then it should work fine.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That's a lot of directions? I'm not sure which one I'm suposed to follow? There's a lot of instructions .. which one am I suposed to do?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It didn't work
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.
Hey Scott,

Yeah, unfortunately there is no easy way to do this - it's a pretty complicated job to get the port running properly, regardless of what kind of router you have. You're opening a port in the firewall, which is not a trivial matter.

First, you need to figure out what version of Firmware you have on your router.

1) Download the manual for your router at http://www.2wire.com/pages/pdfs/2701HG_user_guide.pdf

2) Follow the instructions on pages 7 and 8 to get to the System tab. In the Network at a Glance panel, you want to know what Software version you have (should be 3.x or 4.x)

3) Once you have that information, you can click on the appropriate 3.x or 4.x link on the original site that I sent you, and follow the directions there.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
grrr I had a power outage, and now I can't host again. I tried to go back to this site to re-set my settings, but the site doesn't exist anymore? I keep getting an error message from my brower saying it can't find the server.

I have found another site, but it says that it's a static demo and that I can't make changes from there? I'm really confused? I don't understand why a power outage would cause my settings to change when I changed them on line in the first place?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.
Hi Scott,

Arg, sorry to hear that. My power just came back on this evening after being out since Friday - it's a real hassle!

First, you might try turning the power on your router off for 30 seconds and then turning it back on. That will solve all kinds of router problems.

Which site doesn't exist anymore? I just tried the two links I gave you and they both work.

Is it http://gateway.2wire.net that you can't get to? What happens when you go there?

Shawn
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I found out what was happening. I'm on a wi-fi (as you know). I don't know why, but my computer wasn't using my wi-fi internet connections, for some reason it was using my neighbor's wi-fi .. so when I was going to that site to fix my fire wall settings, it wouldn't let me do it.

Once I figured this out, the information you gave me .... awhile ago .. worked again. Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.
Scott,

Great, I'm glad that it's working for you now!!

Thanks again for using JustAnswer. Happy Holidays!

Shawn