Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Just purchased a MacBook Pro (my first MAC product). I have

Just purchased a MacBook Pro (my first MAC product). I have a homemade video I'd like to copy onto an external cd and dvd recorder. However, I could not find any info on how to perform this function. Does the MacBook Pro have this capability? If so, would you please walk me through the process?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.

One question at a time, if it's ok.

Your MacBook Pro has an internal drive, what type is it?

What exact MacBook Pro do you have?

Go to the Apple Menu and choose About this Mac... and tell me everything in there.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
MAC OS X
Processor: 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo
Memory: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Startup Disk: MacIntosh HD
MacBook Pro5,1
No. of Processors: 1
Total no. of cores: 2
L2 Cache 6MB
Memory 4GB
Bus Speed 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version MBP51.0074.B00
SMC Version: 1.33f6
S/N: W88455P01GA
Sudden Motion Sensor: Enabled
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
OK.

Why do you need an external drive? Your MacBook Por has a SuperDrive capable of burning both CD's and DVD's.

The external drive will require separate software like Toast to burn CD's and DVD's in that drive.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
So, I have the original DVD in the Mac. How do I save to my internal hard drive and how do I copy to blank DVDs?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Ok.

When you insert a blank disk, the Finder 'should' bring up a dialog bo asking what to do with the disk. From that box you can choose Open Finder, which places it as a disk on your desktop and you drag files to it, or you can choose iDVD if you ahve it, to burn a DVD, or you can choose iTunes to burn Music CD's.

Depends on what blank media is inserted and what applications you have installed.

If the dialog is not coming up then go to the System Preferences and choose CD's and DVD's icon. In here you can set what the Finder/Mac should do when blank media is inserted.

Hope this helps,
_____________________________________________
If this Answer has helped you, please click Accept so I can be
paid for assisting. Positive Feedback is also appreciated!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Mike,
I feel so ignorant......How do I copy the DVD to my hard drive?
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Are you referring to copying a DVD with a movie on it?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Mike,

It's a home video. Don't I have to copy to my hard drive before I can burn to a DVD?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I copied the video to my Macintosh HD, however, when I open it to copy to a blank DVD it cannot read the file.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
That is correct. You need to do something called Ripping the DVD to the Mac hard drive.

It is not as simple as copying, especially commercial DVD's as they now come with all sorts of copy protection.

There is software available like HandBrake, that will do this for you. Once it is copied with that software, you then can put it into iTunes for your iPods put it into iDVD for another DVD, or just open it with QuickTime or VLC to watch it.

For personal reasons, I will not go into the process of doing this with a commercial DVD. There are legalities in copying those disks and I am not going to enter that fray here on this site.

For the most part, when you insert a blank DVD or CD, you will get a dialog box asking what to do with it. From there you can choose your application and then use that application to make the disk usable.

Hope this helps,
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm off to Palm Springs and will try again upon arrival. So, it looks like I have to purchase Handbrake? The DVD is not commercial. It's a video of a performing arts debut. I promise that once this problem is fixed, I will take care of you, financially. Thanks again and I will probably not be able to get back to you until around 5pm PST.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Ok. No worries.

Yes, you need to buy it to rip any video. It is fairly easy to use.