Dan - Master Tech
Dan - Master Tech, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  I have worked with Macs going back to the IIE. Installation, diagnostics, repair of all variations.
12940042

When in iphoto 5 all my photos are there, but when i double

Customer Question

When in iphoto 5 all my photos are there, but when i double click on one for edit, or select 'edit' on the bottom it changes to the edit window as normal with my album photos displayed along the top but there is no photo in the main window just the little wheel thingy going around forever. Also when i click on my already existing slideshows i get just a blank screen, although my accompanying music is there. I've tried varying my iphoto preferences settings, moving the iphoto library and creating another library folder, but nothing helps.          Can you help me ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.

It sounds like your iPhoto library might be corrupt. Let's try doing some system maintenance and then rebuilding your library:

1) Follow the directions at this website ( http://kb.iu.edu/data/aoxn.html ) to repair permissions on your computer
2) Hold down BOTH the Command and Option keys on your keyboard. Don't let go of them, until after you
3) Open iPhoto while holding down the keys (you can release them after it opens
4) You will get a prompt to rebuild the library. You'll have to save it under a different name
5) Open the new library in iPhoto by launching it while holding down the OPTION key. This will bring up a prompt to choose the new library.

This should hopefully fix your problems. If not, there are some other things we can try.

Let me know how it works for you! Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Shawn,    I tried as you suggested, now when i open Iphoto there are just photo blanks there with no pictures in them, i don't see where i save it under a different name, it asks to rebuild but not rename it, i think this may be my problem. I had already tried rebuilding disk permissions but i forgot to mention that, sorry
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.
Shaymus,

It's fine if it just rebuilds it - it doesn't have to rename it.

If that didn't work, then it's likely a more serious problem with your library database. Let's rebuild it from scratch:

1) Close iPhoto
2) In the Finder, choose Go->Home
3) Go to Pictures and drag the iPhoto Library folder onto the desktop
4) Launch iPhoto. When it asks you to create a new library, choose yes.
5) Open your iPhoto Library folder on the desktop
6) Open the Originals folder and drag all of the individual folders inside into the iPhoto application window. This will import them into iPhoto

You should be all set then. If it works as expected and you have all of your photos (make sure they all get imported!), then you can delete the iPhoto Library folder that you moved to your desktop.

Let me know how this works. Kind regards,

Shawn
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Shawn          I,m afraid its still the same, i did as you said, dragged both folders onto the desktop, chose "select all" for the originals folder moved them into the new folder, then back into Pictures and disappointedly no change. Any other suggestions ?
Expert:  Shawn replied 8 years ago.
Shamus,

I'm sorry - I am out of ideas. I'm going to opt out so that another expert can help you.

Kind regards,

Shawn
Expert:  Dan - Master Tech replied 8 years ago.
GreetingsCustomer it certainly looks as though Shawn did a great job of putting you through the paces of trying to correct your problem. Admittedly I am not full of ideas at the moment but I do have a few questions for you.
  1. What model Mac are you using? If you can either list the serial number or the system specs that would work.
  2. What version of OS X are you using?
  3. Are you able to view your images in any other program such as Preview?
  4. Did the problem coincide with any other event such as a system crash or lockup, system update, software installation?
  5. Do you have an OS X installation disc or restore disc to boot from?
I'll start with that and wait for your reply.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Dan,   
                 Hope you can help me with my problem which is getting very frustrating.

I have an Imac G5,       Serial Number QP52500FSDY,   OSX is 10.4.11.

No the photos do not show in Preview but it works normally with everything else. I had no major problems before this, had no crash, no lockups, possibly some updates? but no software install, I tend to stick with tried and trusted software
I ran Apple Hardware Test from the Imac install discs, i did not think it was a hardware problem but wanted to eliminate that, passed ok. I then did a reinstall from the same discs and then downloaded all updates to no avail , still the same. Can't think of anything else !

I have a feeling that what you have listed in your folder is a thumnail image file of the original image. I guess I need to do a little more fact finding if you can bear with me.
  1. In what format are the images?
  2. If you do a Get Info on one of the image files directly in the iPhoto=>Original folder, what is the reported size?
  3. What are you downloading images from, digital camera, memory card?
  4. If from a memory card, rather than importing into iPhoto, can you open a Finder window and drag the images into a folder on your hard drive?